Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy & Pre-Approval

Transfer Credit Policy

To receive transfer credit, current students must have an official transcript sent directly from the institution to the Emerson Registrar's Office. Newly admitted students must have their official transcript(s) sent to the Admission Office, who will disseminate the information to the Registrar’s Office when appropriate.

The Registrar's Office will review the transcript to determine liberal arts equivalency and elective credits.

Major course equivalency will be determined by the academic department, either by the department chair or undergraduate coordinator. It is advised that students keep course descriptions and syllabi, in case additional information is necessary to determine course equivalency.

  • Transfer credit is granted for comparable coursework completed at accredited two- and four-year institutions with a grade of "C" or better.
  • Students with junior or senior status who have not reached the 64-credit transfer limit may only request transfer credit for courses taken at a four-year, baccalaureate-degree granting institution.
  • Newly matriculated transfer students may transfer in a maximum of 80 credits, with a maximum of 64 credits from a community college or two-year institution and a maximum of 32 exam-based credits (e.g., AP, IB, CLEP).
  • Students for whom Emerson is their first college may transfer in a maximum of 64 credits, with a maximum of 32 exam-based credits (e.g., AP, IB, CLEP).
  • Quarter hour and trimester hour credits will be reduced to semester hour credits.

Transfer Credit Pre-Approval

Current students who wish to complete external coursework for transfer into Emerson are strongly advised to submit potential courses for pre-approval via eCommon, on the Student Services tab in the Registration Tools menu.

After submitting their courses, students will be notified via email whether each course is appropriate for transfer into Emerson, how many credits it will transfer in for, and if it will fulfill a particular requirement.

If seeking to fulfill a major or minor requirement, students may also be directed to obtain the permission of their department chair or undergraduate coordinator.

If submitting courses for international study, please note the U.S.-accredited college or institution that will be transcripting your work under “School Name,” rather than the international institution.