Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer Credit Policy
To receive transfer credit, current students must have an official transcript sent directly from the institution to the Emerson Registrar's Office. Newly admitted students must have their official transcript(s) sent to the Admission Office, who will disseminate the information to the Registrar’s Office when appropriate.
The Registrar's Office will review the transcript to determine liberal arts equivalency and elective credits.
Major course equivalency will be determined by the academic department, either by the department chair or undergraduate coordinator. It is advised that students keep course descriptions and syllabi, in case additional information is necessary to determine course equivalency.
- Transfer credit is granted for comparable coursework completed at accredited two- and four-year institutions with a grade of "C" or better.
- Students with junior or senior status who have not reached their credit transfer limit may only request transfer credit for courses taken at a four-year, baccalaureate-degree granting institution.
- Quarter hour and trimester hour credits will be reduced to semester hour credits.
How many transfer credits are allowed?
- Transfer Students: Students transferring into Emerson College from another institution may transfer in a maximum of 80 pre-matriculation credits, with no more than 64 of those credits from a junior or community college and no more than 32 credits from exams (e.g., AP, IB, CLEP). Post-matriculation, transfer students will be limited to a maximum of 64 transfer credits, including those credits transferred in pre-matriculation.
- New First Time Students (effective Fall 2017 and onward): Students for whom Emerson College is their first college may transfer in a maximum of 32 credits (this maximum includes transfer courses and exam-based credits combined).
- Current Students (prior to Fall 2017): Students who matriculated at Emerson prior to Fall 2017 and for whom Emerson College is their first college may transfer in a maximum of 64 credits, with a maximum of 32 exam-based credits (e.g., AP, IB, CLEP).
Transfer Credit Pre-Approval
Current students who wish to complete external coursework for transfer into Emerson are strongly advised to submit potential courses for pre-approval via eCommon, on the Student Services tab in the Registration Tools menu.
After submitting their courses, students will be notified via email whether each course is appropriate for transfer into Emerson, how many credits it will transfer in for, and if it will fulfill a particular requirement.
If seeking to fulfill a major or minor requirement, students may also be directed to obtain the permission of their department chair or undergraduate coordinator.
If submitting courses for international study, please note the U.S.-accredited college or institution that will be transcripting your work under “School Name,” rather than the international institution.
For more information email lynn_butkovsky [at] emerson.edu (subject: Transfer%20Credit%20Question)