Paramount Mainstage


  • 1836: Lion Theatre opens on the site of what was recently known as the Adams House Annex, as an adaptation of the pre-revolution Lion Tavern
  • 1839: Melodeon Hall succeeds Lion Theatre
  • 1846: Adams House Hotel built on the site of present Paramount Theatre
  • 1859: Adams House Annex built around Melodeon Hall
  • 1878: Gaiety Theatre opens in the former Melodeon Hall
  • 1882: Bijou Theatre opens in the remodeled Gaiety space. It is the first theatre in the United States to use electric lighting on its stage.
  • 1894: B.F. Keith’s New Theatre opens—the “mother house of vaudeville”—on the site behind the Bijou
  • 1932: Paramount Theatre, a 1,500-seat Art Deco movie palace, opens
  • 1951: Bijou and B.F. Keith’s are demolished
  • 1976: Paramount Theatre closes
  • 1984: Paramount Theatre is designated a Boston Landmark
  • 2005: Emerson College acquires the Paramount Theatre, Adams House Annex, and the lot behind the Annex
  • 2007: Paramount Center groundbreaking
  • 2010: Paramount Center opens