Cutler Majestic Theatre
- Timeline of Due Dates
- Majestic Operational Guidelines
- Licensee Responsibilities: Backstage
- Stage Door List
- Charges List
- Licensee Responsibilities: Front of House
- Event Ticketing Setup
- Paramount FOH Staff Duties and Billing
- Program Books
- Lobby Setup & Use
- Receptions, Rehearsals, Photos & Recordings
- Marketing Displays
- Put Tickets into Inventory—Coordinate with Ticketing Manager, 617-824-8000
- Client Summit—5-6 weeks out. EC and Client teams discuss plans.
- Insurance Certificate Due—3 weeks before load-in.
- Design Form—due 3 weeks out.
- Open Dress Rehearsal Requests— due to Theatre Manager 3 weeks out.
- Public Reception Requests—due to Theatre Manager 2 weeks before load-in.
- Production Schedule—due to MAJ TD 10 business days before load-in.
- Stage Door Schedule—due to MAJ TD 10 business days before load-in.
- Trucking Schedule—due to MAJ TD 10 business days before load-in.
- Smoke, Fog, Fire and other Special Effects (SFX) Requests—due to MAJ TD 10 days before load-in.
- Line Set Schedule—due to MAJ TD 7 days before load-in.
- Final Running Times—due to Ticketing Manager 7 days before opening.
- Lobby Use Requests—due to Theatre Manager 7 days before load-in.
- Final Deposits Due—due to Theatre Manager 7 days before load-in.
- Outdoor Sign Delivery—Friday before load-in.
- Stage Door Lists—due to MAJ TD 1 day before load-in.
- Boston Fire Permits for your scenery and soft goods—due to MAJ TD at load-in.
- Licensee Tech Representative Approve Time Sheets—Daily, by noon.
- Stairs Bridging Orchestra Pit Requests—due to MAJ TD 3 days before opening.
- Show Merchandise Requests—due to Theatre Manager 1 day before opening.
- Photo and Recording Requests—due to Theatre Manager 1 day before opening.
- Late Seating Times—due to Ticketing Manager 1 day before opening.
- Press and Comp Ticket Requests—due to Ticketing Manager Noon day of show; Noon Friday for the weekend.
- Settlement Paperwork is signed at or after intermission of last performance.
- Settlement Check Due – Friday after play week of last performance, confirm specifics with Theatre Manager.
- Final Settlement Date—3 months after last performance.
- Rehearsals must be arranged at least 24 hours in advance with Maj TD.
- No deliveries or pick-ups before load-in or after load-out. There is NO storage space.
Reminder: The City of Boston requires Boston Fire Department permits for scenic drops, draperies, soft props and special effects. The permitting process may take two weeks. Submit your permit applications early. For questions please see Technical Information or call the Technical Director, 617-824-8185.
- Stage Door used for Exit and Entry to the theatre.
- You MUST sign in/out at stage door; NO exceptions.
- Meet guests by the Stage Door in Allen’s Alley.
- No food or drink in the house.
- Do not put any belongings, gear, etc. on velvet or in audience seats.
- Keep aisles, stairs, signs and all fire egress clear at all times.
- Everyone in the audience must have a ticket.
- No admittance to lobby and front-of-house without approval.
- All tools and keys must be signed out in the House Tech office.
- Lock all doors that you unlock.
- No tape on any surface in the house.
- Painters tape only can be used in the back hall and dressing rooms.
- No parking in Allen’s Alley. NO exceptions.
- You must have all fire certification for your soft goods and SFX.
- 24 hr notice needed for building access schedule change.
- No construction within the Majestic building or in the alley.
- No spray painting within the Majestic building or alley.
- Shows must provide own expendables (tie line, gaff tape, gel, etc.)
- Follow all safety guidelines and instruction.
- If you don’t know how to operate house equipment, then don’t.
- All crews needing harnesses must go through house harness training.
- On duty House Staff have final say about all matters in accordance with safety of both people and building.
- Event Representative with authority must be present at beginning of load-in through end of strike.
- No smoking anywhere in building.
- Clean up after yourself.
A Representative is to be on duty backstage from each call time to the end of each call, who will:
- Accept delivery and certify the condition of the MAJ before load-in
- Certify the condition (including damages) after load-out
- Make decisions on your behalf during all calls
- Specify stage access and lock-out for every day
- Certify daily technical staff time sheets
- Handle artist comp ticketing requests by making and approving a list
- Submit artist comp list to the Ticketing Manager by NOON day of show
- Assist your artists to achieve their needs within your budget.
If Licensee Rep is absent, this role is assumed by the Majestic Theatre Manager or his representative, whose sole judgment will be final.
Licensee’s Production Manager is responsible for hiring, supervising and payroll for all stage crews except Emerson College employees. The Majestic Technical Director keeps and may provide you with a contact list of local freelance technicians who are familiar with MAJ equipment, rules, and procedures. 4 hour minimums with 1/2 hour increments apply to Emerson College employees; you reimburse Emerson College ($) for all their calls. In accordance with applicable law, Licensee will be billed for overtime at 150% (time and a half) for the hours exceeding 40 in a Monday-Sunday work-week and overtime before 8 am and after 11 pm. Penalty time at 200% applies between midnight and 6 am if MAJ-TD chooses to allow work during those hours.
Please provide a list of all staff, artists, and production visitors at least 24 hours prior to your first crew call for the use of the Stage Door Security Staff. This should be complete and in alphabetical order by last name. Stage Door will admit only those people on the list. Any others will be required to wait until an acceptable company representative can be found to approve admittance. To avoid delays and tempers, make certain your list is complete or station a company representative at Stage Door.
To obtain a current Charges List, contact the Theatre Manager at 617-824-8183.
A Licensee Representative is to be On Duty in the Lobby at every event, beginning 45 minutes before the house opens until lock out. The Licensee Rep is specified in the Theatre License and must have full authority to:
- Make customer decisions
- Respond to artist-focused questions
- Determine late seating policies
- Confer on intermission decisions
- Approve House Seats for artists and producers.
If Licensee Rep is absent, this role is assumed by the Majestic Theatre Manager or his representative, whose sole judgment will be final.
You may choose to set aside “Fixer” tickets for the House Supervisor. If you choose not to, all Customer Service Opportunities will be sent to the Licensee’s Representative. Customer Service Opportunities occur in almost every performance. Examples include customers who arrive on Friday night with Saturday night tickets, or customers with limited mobility who purchased balcony seats. To address these, we require that the House Supervisor have Fixer tickets or that the Licensee Representative be available to the customer.
You will set aside tickets for:
- Patrons in wheelchairs and their companions
- ASL patrons when you have an interpreter
- Majestic House Seats L 101-106, J 113-114, E 2-4, as specified in the License Agreement
- "Tech Kills," i.e., those seats obstructed or eliminated due to the needs of the show.
The Ticketing Manager has a standard set of holds and kills you may use when you set up the performances which addresses all these needs.
The Majestic and its ticket sales outlets are the SOLE SOURCES FOR INDIVIDUAL TICKET SALES – by phone, internet, in person, mail, fax, or any other method, as specified within our License Agreement.
ALL TICKETS ARE UNDER THE EXCLUSIVE CONTROL OF THE MAJESTIC BOX OFFICE. We will charge customers an added processing fee and mailing fee to all transactions to pay for the ticketing and mailing service ($) except those sold at walk-up.
You will pay an initial Set-up and Marketing Fee ($), a Printing Fee for each ticket printed ($), a Majestic Restoration Fee on all tickets sold, including those for your subscribers ($), and bank charges for tickets sold on credit cards ($).
When you advertise, please carry this information:
- Visit or call 1-800-233-3123
- For LOGO files, visit our Stage Resources page
You may also include TTY 1-888/889-8587. If you wish to advertise another phone number for subscriptions, please IDENTIFY IT AS "SUBSCRIPTIONS: 617-XXX-XXXX" so that patrons won't be confused when calling for service.
You may place tickets into Majestic Box Office inventory ("Rack" them) as soon as your License Agreement is signed and deposit received. The ticket office staff will assist you in this process.
Theatre Manager on Duty/House Supervisor (MAJ-MOD) – present at all times that the Theatre is open to the public. This person is in charge of the building and responsible for everyone in it. The MAJ-MOD has final say on all building related issues. 5 hours minimum shift, call time 2 hours before curtain.
House Staff ($) – the number and composition depends on expected audience size and will be determined by the Theatre Manager or his representative. They are Emerson College employees who act as safety personnel in case of emergency, manage lobby security and patron flow, tear tickets, count drop stubs, seat patrons and distribute programs. 4 hours minimum shift, call time 1 to 1½ hours before curtain.
- 1 House Supervisor
- 1 Head Usher
- 4 Ticket Tearers/Lobby Attendants
- 14 Ushers
- 1 or 2 Coat Check staff, at your request
MAJ-MOD may bring in Ushers early to stuff extras into programs or to address other circumstances.
Ticketing Staff ($) – including Treasurer, will be on duty in the MAJ ticket office to sell tickets, assist Licensee with other ticketing services, answer inquiries and distribute literature. 4 hours minimum shift. Full staff: 1 Treasurer and 4 Ticketing Staff Members.
Security Officer ($) – The Majestic arranges for police officers to ensure the safety of the building and its patrons. The officers are trained to deal with medical emergencies. 4 hours minimum shift, call time 1 hour before curtain.
Janitorial Services ($) – contracted at a fixed rate, per performance.
In accordance with applicable law, Licensee will be billed for overtime at 150% (time and a half) for the hours exceeding 40 in a Monday-Sunday work week and for work before 8 am and after 11 pm.
Licensees publish their own program books and stuffers. Have them delivered to the main lobby any time during your License Period. We cannot accept early deliveries because there is no storage space. The Majestic may add its program stuffers to your books. If the Theatre Manager or his representative needs to hire extra ushers for your program stuffers you will pay those costs, but if they are needed for Majestic stuffers you will not be charged.
Extra programs and stuffers will be discarded on closing night unless other arrangements have been made with the House Supervisor. Performers may not take programs until intermission on closing night.
Rules are set based on obligations to the Boston Fire Department, the Public and regulations based on the theatre's status as a Boston Historic Landmark. Please understand that we will work to meet your needs while meeting our other obligations.
Tripods, easels, folding chairs or additional tables are NEVER allowed. In an emergency, these are trip hazards.
Member Table – We can provide very limited table space for the main or lower lobby. This may be used for merchandise, press, subscriptions or information. Some activities may not be allowed, such as product distribution. See Theatre Manager for details, 617-824-8183.
You may use banners and signs as long as they are certified for flammability by the Boston Fire Department. Please discuss where banners or signs may be placed with the Theatre Manager, 617-824-8183.
Taping up signs and merchandise or any use of tape is prohibited. You will be charged for the damage it causes. Majestic staff may provide acceptable fasteners upon request. Charges ($) for resurfacing/repairs: $100-500/hour.
Setup must be FINISHED 60 minutes before curtain.
The Majestic will operate or contract concession sales in the Theatre and backstage. These may include food, drink, alcohol, catering, coat check and merchandise.
If you wish to sell merchandise, you must submit a written request to the Theatre Manager at least a day before first sale. If approved, you will receive written notice. The MAJ staff will count in merchandise before each shift and count out at the end of the night. The Majestic charges 20% commission based on inventory counts with no comp deductions. The theatre management reserves the right to refuse any merchandise item for any reason.
Receptions in the Majestic must be planned in advance with Theatre Manager Lance Olson, 617-824-8183.
- ANY ALCOHOL MUST BE SERVED BY EMERSON COLLEGE CATERING, 617-824-8065 ($)
- Extra janitorial services ($) may be charged
- Security Officer ($) will be on duty
- Pre-show, you may use lower lobby or mezzanine lounge
- Post-show, you may use lobby (maximum 40 people) or stage
If this is an Emerson College event where alcohol is served and students are present, you must obtain written permission from the President of the College.
Open Dress Rehearsals must be requested no later than 3 weeks before load-in, to the Theatre Manager. For 25 guests or less, they may enter through stage door. Submit the list of attendees to the stage door no later than 4 hours prior to Rehearsal. For more than 25 guests, Front of House staff must be on duty to ensure safety. Guests will enter through Front of House. Submit the list of attendees to the Technical Director, no later than 4 hours prior. If other arrangements have been made (tickets, passes, etc.), discuss with Technical Director.
Events may be photographed or recorded only with the written permission of the Theatre Manager, as specified in the License Agreement. Once approved, discuss where photographer is to be located with the Technical Director, 617-824-8185, to determine if seats need to be killed. The photographer or recorder must arrive no later than 1 hour before curtain and be 100% set-up by 45 minutes before curtain.
Electronic News Gathering Crews which are self contained, running on battery packs and have wireless or camera mount mics will be allowed to shoot as long as you have warned the Theatre Manager. They may shoot no more than 5 minutes of tape, airing no more than 30 seconds (consistent with Equity/AGMA) unless you have made other arrangements.
One outdoor sign box is provided for your use during your license period. Maximum size is 36x54 inches. Do not mount on foam core board, but lamination keeps the sign fresh. Give sign to Theatre Manager by 5 pm on the Friday before your license period; it will be installed the night before your license period begins. Signs are removed and discarded after the closing performance has begun unless other arrangements are made with the Theatre Manager.
The Majestic Marquee will carry your show information the week before and the week of your show. We program and display 2 non-exclusive segments totaling 12 seconds per minute. EC retains all editorial control over fitness, quality and content of displays, and it is our intention to coordinate the marquee with the other elements of your campaign. For additional week rates ($) and info, contact the Theatre Manager.
The Majestic has the following accommodations:
- Wheelchair locations for 12 people
- 10 transfer chairs
- Wheelchair ramps, ticket counters, washrooms and elevator
- FM listening devices for all events free to our guests
- TTY Box Office (1-888-889-8587)
- Large print high contrast signage
We guarantee seating to persons using wheelchairs as long as there are seats available. Accessible seats are held until curtain unless we otherwise sell out. Only then are they released to the general public.
You may choose to make Large Print and/or Braille program books.