Laptops in the Library Policy
The Emerson College Library provides laptop computers for full-time Emerson students, faculty, and staff to use within the Library.
- Want to use your own laptop/notebook in the Library? You can use the same network configuration you use in your residence hall. Instructions for configuring your computer are available from the Help Desk.
- Check out laptops at the Reserve Desk. Use of the laptops is open to anyone with a valid Emerson College ID card. This does not include Fenway Library Consortium users, Emerson alumni borrowers, or Department of Professional Studies and Special Programs students. You must present your Emerson ID card when checking out a laptop.
- Library Laptops do not leave the Library. Do not leave the laptop unattended at any time, because you are financially liable for loss of or damage to the Library's laptops. When checking out a laptop, you must fill out a waiver form accepting full responsibility for the laptop.
- If there is a problem with a laptop, return it to the Reserve Desk and explain the problem.
- You are responsible for returning the laptop computer on time. You will be charged $1 per hour for a laptop returned or renewed past the due time.
- Printing is available from the laptops. Black and white printing costs $0.07 per sheet, color printing is $0.50 per sheet (single-sided only), and printing requires ECcash or print credits.
- You may not attach other hardware (laptops, CD-ROM drives, printers, etc.) to the laptops, with the exception of USB flash drives. You may not install your own software or change system settings.
- Neither the Library nor the College is responsible for damage to any external drive, computer, or for any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from use of the Library's computers or malfunctioning Library hardware or software.