Forensics team sweeps the N.E. Regional Championship
March 01, 2011
March 01, 2011
The Emerson Forensics Team took first place February 19 at the New England Regional Championship by more than 100 points.
Not only did Emerson sweep the competition, but the College also hosted the annual event, which drew competitors from Suffolk University, St. Anselm College, Ithaca College, Bridgewater State College, Plymouth State, The University of Maine, and Lafayette College.
Among Emerson’s significant accomplishments are:
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate Sweepstakes awards: Emerson, 2nd Place
- Individual Events Sweepstakes awards: Emerson College, 1st Place
- Corey Efron ’11 and Colby Jackson ’15 placed 1st and 2nd in Persuasive Speaking and qualified to represent the State of Massachusetts at the Interstate Oratory National Championship Tournament at James Madison University in April
- Tiernan Cahill ’12 had a semifinal finish in Lincoln-Douglas Debate, and finished 4th overall at the tournament
- Prose Interpretation: Charvelle Holder ’13, 1st Place; Liza Cortright ’15, 2nd Place
- Extemporaneous Speaking: Corey Efron, 1st Place
- Rhetorical Criticism: Corey Efron, 1st Place
- Duo Interpretation: Sophie Meuch ’15 and Corey Efron, 1st Place; Sophie Meuch and Liza Cortright, 2nd Place
- Poetry Interpretation: Sophie Meuch, 1st Place; Charvelle Holder, 2nd Place
“I'm very, very proud of our students,” said Heather Erickson, director of Forensics and lecturer in the Department of Communication Studies (pictured above). “They did an amazing job. They have been practicing nonstop for the last two weeks, and their hard work and talent really came through.”
In addition, Erickson was elected director of the New England Regional Championship Tournament for 2012. “I am honored that the teams in our region have entrusted me with this.”
The next major competition for Emerson takes place in April at the National Forensics Association Championship in Illinois. “We have 10 students qualified for nationals,” said Erickson.