Anticipation builds for Alumni Weekend 2011
May 25, 2011
May 25, 2011
Every year, Emerson’s campus comes alive as alumni, friends, and families from around the world reunite at Alumni Weekend. This year, hundreds are already slated to attend Alumni Weekend, June 3–5. You can register to be a part of the celebration.
Activities planned include a karaoke night, film screenings, lectures, campus tours, reunion luncheons, dinner, dancing, and entertainment throughout Emerson’s beautiful Paramount Center, and more. All Emerson alumni are invited to join the festivities.
Staff members wait to welcome Emerson alumni outside the Paramount Center.
“As always, Alumni Weekend promises to be a memorable event with several generations of Emersonians planning to return to campus,” said Barbara Rutberg ’68, director of alumni relations. “This year’s celebration is especially significant, though, because it will be our last chance to thank President Liebergott for everything she has done for Emerson these past 18 years before she officially steps down in July.”
Class reunions for those who graduated in years ending in one or six will be celebrated. Two members of the Class of 1936 will be celebrating their 75th reunion: Allee Hamilton Wood and Mary O’Keefe Dentler.
The weekend’s events include:
- A huge celebration at the Paramount Center with dinner options throughout the venue, a glitzy dance party in Emerson's Jackie Liebergott Black Box Theatre transformed into our own Studio 54, a multimedia spectacle featuring student and alumni performances on the Mainstage, and several alumni awards presentations
- A Friday night karaoke party hosted by WERS, Emerson’s award-winning radio station
- A WERS Hall of Fame induction ceremony and reception, honoring Al Jaffe ’68, Constance Lloyd ’79, and Gerry Kroeger, posthumously
- The Kasteel Well 25th anniversary luncheon, complete with Dutch treats and a visit from the castle program’s executive director, Dulcia Meijers
- An athletics reception with Emerson sports team coaches, including newly appointed men’s basketball coach Jim O’Brien
- Brunch with Emerson Journalism Chair Ted Gup, critically acclaimed author and former Washington Post reporter
Several alumni will be honored during Alumni Weekend 2011. Tony Goldman ’65, Emerson Trustee and CEO of real estate and hospitality company Goldman Properties Co., will receive a distinguished alumni award at the Friday night reception. Clinical research marketing consultant Bonnie Brescia ’82, prolific Hollywood producer Brad Epstein ’85, and top-ranked financial advisor Raj Sharma G’83 will be presented with distinguished alumni awards at the Saturday evening event. Morgan First ’06, a successful entrepreneur and social media and marketing expert, will receive the young alumni achievement award.
Additionally, the Sixth Annual Emerson College Alumni Association Scholarship Auction, which helps raise thousands of dollars to support student scholarships, will run online until June 6. Both those attending Alumni Weekend and people who aren’t able to make it back to campus are encouraged to participate. Auction items include autographed novels; vacation getaways; photographs and prints; clothing and jewelry; and tickets to sporting events, movies, concerts, and Broadway shows. Bidding starts as low as $10.