These procedures are designed to minimize physical deterioration or damage to records transferred to the Archives and to ensure that they will be readily retrievable after transfer.
- Consult your department's record schedule and/or the archivist to determine what materials should be sent to the Archives. Materials sent to the Archives that are determined to have no long-term archival value will be returned.
- Conduct a Records Survey to identify and separate active records from archival materials.
- Shred any copies of materials that were created by another department but used for administrative purposes in your department. The Archives will receive the original documents from the originating department.
- Obtain record storage boxes for your records. Boxes can be ordered from Hollinger Metal Edge (item RSB-12, Record Storage Box White Acid-Free Corrugated Board).
- Remove all hanging file folders. If items are loose within a hanging file folder, place them into a regular office file and transfer the name of the file from the hanging file to the new file using pencil. Please print legibly.
- Fill boxes (from front to back) with files; maintain the order in which the files were created or used and do not over-pack the box.
- Label and number the boxes consecutively and discretely in pencil (e.g. [Name of Department], Date, Box 1 of 7). Do not use pen or apply labels to the boxes.
- Make a list of box contents/inventory that lists all files or items in each box (include dates whenever possible).
- Complete the Archival Records Transfer Form (attach your inventory to the Archival Records Transfer Form).
- Insert the Archival Records Transfer Form and inventory in the first box, on top of the contents, under the lid; keep a copy for your records.
- Please do not tape box lids shut.
- Place a work order with facilities (x8880) to arrange delivery to the College Archives, Room 223, 2nd floor of the Walker Building. Please do not leave archival materials outside in the hallway.
- Contact the College Archives in advance of delivery so we know the boxes are coming.
- Upon delivery, notification will be sent to originating office and a copy of the Archival Records Transfer Form will be returned with an accession number for future retrieval.