International Student Affairs

Curricular Practical Training

What Is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

CPT allows a student to work off campus with a company if the position is an integral component of her or his academic program of study.


Undergraduate students who have completed one academic year and have maintained their visa status may apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Graduate students are eligible to apply immediately if their programs require early participation in an internship or practicum.

How to Apply

To apply for CPT, you must complete the following steps in order:

  1. Make an appointment with the Office of International Student Affairs at least two weeks before the start of your employment.
  2. Get a new I-20 with CPT authorization.
  3. Bring an internship offer letter from your employer (on company letterhead stationery) to the Office of International Student Affairs. This letter must include the exact beginning and end dates of the internship, the number of hours you will work in a week, a description of your job duties, and the letter must be signed by your supervisor.
  4. Contact Career Services, 216 Tremont Street, Sixth Floor, for instructions on the internship approval process. You will need to complete an internship learning agreement and have it signed by both your internship supervisor and your internship coordinator. Once completed, contact the International Student Affairs Office for final approval.

After Authorization

You must be granted authorization from the Office of International Student Affairs and receive a Social Security number before you can begin your Curricular Practical Training. Learn more about applying for a Social Security number »