Housing Selection Process
What to Know to Stay in Housing
Eligibility to Select and Remain in Housing for the Academic Year
- Students must have their account in good standing. Spring 2017 balances must be paid in full, pre-approved payment arrangements must be paid up to date, and/or outstanding financial aid must be sufficient to cover any balances. For questions regarding your account, contact the Office of Student Accounts at 617-824-8655. All concerns regarding your student account must be resolved by Monday, February 20, 2017.
- Students must be in compliance with the College and Commonwealth of Massachusetts health and immunization requirements. A student with questions regarding his or her health compliance should first check his or her Banner account for a Health Hold status. If the account shows a Health Hold, there will be a date associated with the Hold. If the date noted shows a current or expired date, the student is ineligible to participate in housing selection until health and immunization compliance requirements are met. A student with an expired date needs to clear the hold in order to select housing.
- Immunization Clinic dates for the spring semester are posted on the Center for Health & Wellness (CHW) website. If an immunization is needed, students should plan to obtain it prior to the “From” date indicated in Banner. For clarification on which immunizations are required, or if hold information is inaccurate, students should contact the CHW at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room & Board and Contract Information
As part of the online application, students will provide an electronic signature for the Housing Contract for the 2017–2018 academic year agreeing to live in the residence halls for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters). Students are not required to live on campus both semesters in Boston if they:
- take a Leave of Absence or withdraw from the College; or
- participate in International Study and External Programs. Participation in International Study and External Programs means that a student has been accepted into a program AND is attending Los Angeles, Kasteel Well, Washington D.C., Communication University of China through Emerson College, Valencia or an approved Study Abroad program.
All resident students are required to be enrolled in an Emerson College meal plan and are automatically enrolled in the Flex Plan when they enter into the housing contract. Students have the option of changing their meal plan ONCE during the Add/Drop period (the first two weeks of the semester). Meal plan changes can be made by selecting the student services tab on eCommon.
Room and board charges for the 2017–2018 academic year can be found under Tuition and Fees.
Cancelation/Loss of Housing
A student whose financial account with the College is not in good standing as of August 1, 2017, may have his/her room reservations canceled. The student's account will be considered in good standing if on August 1, 2017:
- The Fall 2017 room, board, tuition, and fees balance is paid in full;
- A pre-approved payment arrangement has been confirmed by the Office of Student Accounts. Payment arrangements can consist of financial aid, loans, monthly payment plan or other documentation of pending payment sufficient to cover the balance.
Students whose immunization records are not in compliance as of Monday, July 31, 2017, may have their room reservations canceled.
Students covered by the Residency Requirement who lose housing per an outstanding balance or failure to meet health compliance will also forfeit their enrollment at Emerson College.
Medical, Psychological, or Physical Disability Considerations
Students who wish to live on campus during the 2017-2018 academic year and have a medical or physical condition requiring a specific housing accommodation need to complete a “Food and Housing Contract Accommodation Packet” and submit it to the Office of Disability Services. OHRL staff will consult with the staff in the Office of Disability Services, regarding all requests. Upon completion of the review, you will be notified whether your accommodation request has been approved or denied. If your accommodation is approved, a member of OHRL will contact students to discuss housing selection options. To complete the Food and Housing Contract Accommodation Packet please follow this link and click on “Housing Contract Release/Accommodation Requests.” Please note, accommodations only grant you a place as a priority should spaces be available, they do not guarantee housing.
Financial Appeals Process
There is an appeal process for students who are not selected to participate in the Housing Selection Process, but wish to live in on-campus housing due to the financial impact that moving off-campus may have on that student. Students should submit their Financial Appeals through the Financial Aid office no later than Wednesday, March 1, 2017. A Financial Appeals Committee will base decisions on financial aid eligibility, special financial circumstances, class level, and overall financial hardship. Please note that only a limited number of appeals will be approved. Students who wish to apply for a financial appeal for housing must complete a Financial Appeal Request. Please note, accommodations only grant you a place as a priority should spaces be available, they do not guarantee housing.