Housing & Dining
Fall 2016 Winter Break Closing Information
Between classes wrapping up and finals, the end of the fall semester can be a stressful time. Here is what you need to know to make your departure from your residence hall a successful experience.
The residence halls close for winter break at promptly 12pm, noon, on Wednesday, December 21, 2016. All residents should be leaving their space for the break 24 hours after their last class/final or noon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016, whichever comes first. Students who do not leave by our closing time may be face student conduct action and a fine.
How to Close Out My Room for the Winter Break Period
If you are planning on returning to your residence hall for the spring 2017 semester you will need to close your room out for winter break. To successfully close out your room you must follow the steps below.
- Close and secure all windows in your room
- Adjust your heat accordingly:
- If you live in the Little Building, please turn your thermostat to LOW
- If you live in Piano Row, Colonial, or Paramount please keep the heating unit set on heat, and keep the temp set to a minimum of 60 degrees
- Unplug all electrical devices in your room INCLUDING fish tanks (take fish home!)
- Unplug, defrost, and clean your refrigerator
*We strongly recommend that you unplug your refrigerator a few days before you leave and leave the door ajar with a towel in it to absorb the moisture from it defrosting. Please remove all items from fridge before this process
- Remove all trash and perishable items from your room/suite before you leave
- Turn off all lights
- Lock your door and take your keys and ID card with you. Remember to bring your keys and ID back with you!
I am Not Returning to the Residence Halls for Spring 2017
If you are not returning to the residence halls for the spring 2017 semester you must either complete an express check out or schedule and completed a check out with an RA of your building.
Express Check Out Information
EXPRESS Check-Out is a move-out option available to all students starting December 13th. It is designed to be a fast and efficient option for students during closing periods.
When you are ready to leave and all your belongings have been removed from your room, make the following steps to complete an express check out:
- Pick up an express check out envelope in the lobby of your residence hall; fill it out (front & back).
- Place your keys into the envelope; seal the envelope.*
- Drop the envelope into the EXPRESS Check Out Box located in the lobby of your residence hall.
*If you have lost your keys, you are still required to fill out an envelope so staff know that you have moved out. Indicate that your keys are missing on the EXPRESS Check Out envelope. Doing this ensures that you are not charged an improper check-out fee. If you leave without returning keys in an envelope, you will be charged for your missing keys and an improper check-out fee.
In Person Check Out Information
This appointment must take place no later than 24 hours after your last class/final exam, and before 12:00 pm, noon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016. Failure to do so may result in an improper checkout fee and/or other fines.
Prepare for the RA's arrival for the Check Out appointment:
Sign up for a checkout appointment with your RA (or an RA in your building if your floor RA is not available). You should contact the RA at least 24 hours before you wish to move out.
- At the time of the scheduled appointment, the RA will come to your room to conduct a room inspection, making note of any changes in the condition of your room since move in. The RA will also collect keys, assess the cleanliness of the room, and officially check you out of your room.
- You must have all your belongings packed and either in a cart or in the car. The living area (including suite common areas and bathroom, if applicable) should be in "broom clean" condition, and you should have said your 'goodbyes' to friends. If you miss your appointment or are not packed and ready to go when your RA arrives, you may be charged an Improper Checkout fee.
Laundry Carts are available to assist in your move out; however, they are limited. They can be in high demand during a move out period and the college cannot provide one cart for every resident student. Therefore, we encourage you to talk with your parent/guardian about bringing a hand truck or dollie from home to assist with move out.
Parking & Loading Vehicles
During winter closing, the area along Boylston and Washington Street will not be reserved for active loading of vehicles. Please make sure your ride does not stop in front of the buildings along Boylston and Washington Street until you have checked out with an RA or completed an express check out and you are ready to load up your car. There is absolutely no parking along Boylston Street, and Boston Police will ticket and/or tow any illegally parked vehicle. (Your ride can park at a meter or in an area parking garage.)
Mail Forwarding for Students Not Returning to Live on the Boston Campus for Spring 2017:
If you are graduating, moving off-campus, taking a leave of absence, withdrawing or any other reason that results in you not living on campus in Boston for Spring 2017, your mail will NOT be forwarded by the Emerson College Mailroom. You MUST forward your mail through the US Postal Service.