Graduate Admission

International Students

Application instructions are available online, but if you are applying as a non-U.S. citizen, there are some additional steps you must take in order to begin your graduate studies at Emerson College.

Program-specific Details for I-20

MS in Communication Disorders Low-Residency for SLPAs: Emerson College cannot accept applications from international students for the low-residency program at this time, as the College is not able to issue I-20s appropriate for participation in this program.

MA in Journalism: Due to the online nature of the first summer semester and the final summer semester, we can only issue an I-20 valid for the duration of the fall and spring semester which require class attendance at our Boston campus. The MA in Journalism requires students to complete four of the ten required courses for the master's degree online. Courses start online in mid-summer, followed by two semesters on campus (fall and spring), and culminates with a final 12-week term online. During the online summer portions, students work on their semester requirements and projects online before coming to our Boston campus to begin their fall and spring semesters. 

MFA in Popular Fiction Writing and Publishing: Due to the online nature of the program, we are not able to offer I-20s to international students to come to the United States. International students may participate in the program from their home country. 

MFA in Writing for Film and Television: Emerson College cannot accept applications from international students for the low-residency program at this time, as the College is not able to issue I-20s appropriate for participation in this program.

All other degree programs support the issuance of an I-20 for the full duration of the program. 


The estimated cost of attendance for the 2016–2017 academic year is US$50,650 for all programs not mentioned below.

MA in Global Marketing Communication and Advertising applicants should be aware that because this is a one-year program, the total annual cost for this program (including expenses beyond tuition) is approximately US$70,650.

MA in Civic Media: Art and Practice applicants should be aware that because this is a one-year program, the total annual cost for this program (including expenses beyond tuition) is approximately US$60,650.

MFA in Film and Media Art applicants should be aware that the total annual cost for this program (including expenses beyond tuition) is approximately US$47,000.

Official Transcripts

International students do not need to submit official transcripts to Emerson College. An official evaluation sent to Emerson College from the evaluating agency is the only requirement. ALL foreign transcripts must undergo a COURSE-BY-COURSE evaluation, GPA and degree evaluation from a credential evaluation service. A credential evaluation is required for all students who have not graduated from a U.S.-accredited college or university. You may use either of the following recommended credential evaluators:

You may also choose other organizations listed by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Applicants must submit academic records from each college and/or university attended that indicate the number of lecture and laboratory hours devoted to each course and all grades received. All transcripts and other credentials must be translated to English by an official translator.

Please contact one of the credential evaluating agencies listed above to receive an "Application for Evaluation of Foreign Credentials" Requests for evaluation are usually honored within 20 working days of receipt of all required materials and fees. You must include instructions on the application to send a copy of the evaluation to the Office of Graduate Admission at Emerson College. You must provide the evaluating agency of your choice with copies of transcripts from all previous educational institutions and certified English translations.

Official TOEFL or IELTS Test Scores

Applicants whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS test results. The Emerson College school code for the TOEFL is 3367; no department code is needed. For more information about these tests, you can visit TOEFL or IELTS.

Typically, successful applicants have the following minimum scores: TOEFL: 90 Internet-based, 577 paper-based, and 233 computer-based; IELTS: 7.0

Scores below our minimum requirements will be considered on a case by case basis, and may require additional submissions to demonstrate English proficiency.

TOEFL and/or IELTS is not required of students:

  • Whose native language is English
  • Who have a bachelor's or master's degree from an institution where the language of instruction was English or the institution is in a country where English is the native language (the United States and territories, Great Britain and territories, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada)

Students who attended a U.S.-sponsored undergraduate institution in a country other than the United States, The United Kingdom and its territories, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, or Canada and whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS test.

Visa and I-20 Form Information

To issue your Form I-20, we need the following information. Once we receive this information, we will send you a Form I-20. You will need this form to apply for your F-1 student visa from the U.S. Embassy in your country.

  • Enrollment Deposit
  • Bank document [Download Sample Bank Document PDF]
    Review our Financial Document Protocol PDF and please provide us with a bank document that meets the following criteria:
    • In English
    • In US Dollars
    • An original copy
    • Showing a minimum of
      • US$47,000 for Media Art 
      • US$60,650 for Civic Media, Art and Practice
      • US$70,650 for Global Marketing Communication and Advertising
      • US$50,650 for all other programs
    • Signed by a bank official
    • Issued within 12 months of the start date of your program. (Please note that the funds must be liquid: real estate and forms of property are not acceptable forms of documentation.)
  • Letter of Financial Support
    If the bank document represents the finances of someone other than you, then please also include a letter of sponsorship. Please make sure your financial sponsor signs and dates the letter. [Download Form]
  • International Student Information Form
    This form provides information necessary for your Form I-20 (immigration document). [Download Form]
  • Passport photocopy
    Please submit a copy of the biographical/identification page of your passport. This is the page that shows your photo, your date of birth, passport number, date that the passport was issued, expiration date, and country of citizenship.

Already Studying in the United States?

In addition, you must submit one copy of the following:


The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires all applicants for F-1 student visas and J-1 visas to pay a one-time fee of US$200 before applying for a visa. More details about paying this fee can be found at U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement.

Getting a Social Security Number (once you reach the United States)

Please note that it is not necessary to have a social security number for admission or for obtaining a visa. Please visit the U.S. Government Social Security website.

External Links