Financial Aid

Summer Assistance

Current graduate students can apply for summer assistance through their second-year financial assistance application. Incoming graduate students for the fall semester are not eligible for summer aid for prerequisite coursework.

Below is a breakdown of how the application and disbursement process works for current students enrolling in the summer term:


You should complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA and the Summer Financial Aid Application by April 13th in order to be awarded by the April 15th summer billing due date. If you register after April 15th, tuition payment is due at the time you register.


You will receive your loans in three equal disbursements for summer, fall, and spring. The same loan amounts as your first year are offered but may appear to be less since the disbursements are split into thirds.

Although summer is treated as two separate academic sessions, it is considered one financial assistance term and therefore, only one summer loan disbursement.

Our office considers the total number of credits taken during both summer terms when calculating eligibility. A student must be enrolled in at least 4 credits before any loans are disbursed. For example, if you take 2 credits in Summer 1 and 2 in Summer 2, your loans will disburse in Summer 2. If you take 4 or more credits in Summer 1, your loan will disburse in Summer 1.

May Seminar Courses

These are part of Summer 1 registration. The credits will apply to Summer 1 and summer loan disbursements can go toward the cost.

Registration & Payment

Summer tuition is due in full by April 15th. If you register after April 16th, payment is due at the time you register. Those who have not paid their tuition bill by the due date will be dropped from their courses.

Prerequisite Courses Before Entering a Degree Program

When you enroll for required prerequisites, you are not eligible to receive most educational loan programs because you are not yet matriculated in a degree program. However, Emerson does have some programs for which you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.