Emerson Los Angeles


Metro is LA County’s transportation system. Students can use the LADOT site to figure out which route works best for them.

For running quick errands from downtown Los Angeles to 27 neighborhoods across the City of Los Angeles (including the Hollywood community) there is a DASH/EXPRESS bus stop close to Emerson Los Angeles. Please view the DASH website for more information on fares, schedules and routes.

Underground Parking at ELA

Students will be able to park their car in the underground garage at ELA.

  • The parking plan cost for Spring 2015 term is $505.00 (roughly $5/day).
  • The parking plan cost for Summer 2014 term is $350.00 (roughly $5/day).

The cost of term parking will be posted to every Los Angeles student’s tuition bill. Students may have the charge removed from their account by emailing us. Students who opt out of the parking plan will need to utilize a local parking garage.


All vehicles parked at the center are required to obtain a parking permit and transponder. Everyone who is issued a parking permit/transponder will have a designated parking spot.

Garage height clearance is 6’8" at its lowest point. Please pack and choose your vehicle with this in mind.

Car Rental Information

  • The closest Enterprise Rent a Car outlet is located at 1770 Ivar Avenue, Hollwood, CA 90028-5106 - (323) 467-2277.
  • It is approximately 1 mile from the new Emerson Los Angeles.
  • There will be a discount for Emerson students with Enterprise Rent A Car - the Enterprise agent knows the Emerson discount code. 
  • Please note that if you reserve a car or rent from an airport location, you will be charged airport tax, which will increase your monthly rental rate.
  • There will be 2 Enterprise Rent A Car Share cars available for rental in ELA’s underground garage. Prices and procedures to be determined.
  • The State of California requires that all renters have liability insurance. The cost of any insurance is in addition to the rental rate quoted.

Auto Insurance

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens who currently have auto insurance should bring the insurance card issued by the auto insurance company to show proof of coverage.

Foreign Students

Foreign students will have to buy the car insurance offered by the rental car agency in order to fulfill the State of California mandatory auto liability insurance requirement.

If you don’t have auto insurance

Check with your parents to see if their homeowner’s policy or a credit card can cover the auto insurance requirement. Another option to consider is for your parent/guardian to rent a vehicle for the term, and for you to bring the family automobile to Los Angeles. It will certainly be less expensive for your parents to rent a vehicle, and perhaps their car insurance will cover this.

Remember, you are ultimately responsible for negotiating and adhering to the terms of any car rental agreement. Make certain you understand the terms of your car rental agreement before you sign on the dotted line and drive your car away.

State of California Auto Insurance Requirement

The State of California REQUIRES all drivers to carry liability insurance.

If you are going to drive your vehicle to California, you should be aware of the regulations involved in maintaining adequate car insurance.

The following passage was taken from the CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles website:

Persons operating a vehicle in this state who are unlicensed or have an invalid California or out-of-state driver license are subject to the same financial responsibility laws as valid California licensed drivers.

California requires that drivers and vehicle owners carry the following minimum monetary limits:

  • $15,000 for injury or death of one person per accident
  • $30,000 for injury or death of two or more persons per accident
  • $5,000 for any property damage per accident

Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner’s exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote)
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K–12).

Please visit the CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles site for more information.