Emerson Los Angeles

How to Apply to the Program

  • Students apply to the program one year in advance of study. Most students apply the first semester of their junior year.
  • The online application to ELA SUMMER 2015, ELA FALL 2015 and ELA SPRING 2016 will be available from September 1, 2014 to November 1, 2014.

The Los Angeles Program is only available to qualified juniors, seniors, and graduate students.

View information if you are a New Transfer Student or International Student »

  1. Application Review Process: An alphabetical list of applicants will be distributed to the appropriate academic departments. Faculty will have an opportunity to contribute comments on applicants they believe have demonstrated superior creativity and skill. This information, combined with GPA and class standing will allow us to determine the final list of accepted, waitlisted, and rejected applicants. Some preference will be given to applicants from under-represented majors. The percentage of accepted applicants from each department will remain roughly constant.
  2. Evaluation Criteria: Each applicant should take the time to compose thoughtful, well-written answers to each question. There should be no grammar or spelling errors. Students will be evaluated on the quality of thought and expression demonstrated in answering each question. Please answer each question with a MAXIMUM of 500 words.
  3. Qualifications: The Los Angeles Program is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students in good social standing. We strongly recommend, however, that undergraduate applicants apply in the fall of their junior year for admission during their senior year. The minimum cumulative grade point average requirement is 2.7.
  4. Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance: Applicants should receive notification of their acceptance status one month after the application deadline.
  5. Applicants may apply for one term only: Applying for multiple terms is not an option. Make certain you apply for the correct term, as changing terms at a later date will move your application to the bottom of the waitlist for that term.
  6. Program Deposit: Upon approval to attend, a nonrefundable and nontransferable program deposit of $300 is required. Spaces are not held for applicants, even approved applicants, without a confirmation deposit.
  7. Meals: There is no food service at ELA. Fall, spring  and summer semester students will receive board bucks as part of their housing cost. Students can use board bucks to purchase meals at the Emerson Cafe on site, or at local neighborhood restaurants. There is a common kitchen for student use.
  8. Housing: On-campus housing is mandatory for undergraduate students and optional for graduate students and students over the age of 24. There are single and double rooms at Emerson Los Angeles. The rooms are in suites with a shared bathroom. Housing requests are made online through the Housing Department website.
  9. Tip for successful completion of the application: Compose the answers to the application questions in a simple word processing program such as TextEdit on a Mac or NotePad on a PC and cut and paste them into the online application form. In the unlikely event your application is lost during transmission, you won't have to rewrite your answers.

New Transfer Student Applicants

Because you do not yet have a cumulative GPA at Emerson, you may not be able to access the online application form. Please contact David Griffin, Director of International Study and External Programs, if you encounter this difficulty. Also, you'll need to submit an official copy of your previous college transcript to the International Study and External Programs Office. Please request that it be mailed to:

International Study and External Programs
Emerson College
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116

International Applicants

In order to pursue a course of study at a U.S. institution of higher education, you need to maintain an appropriate immigration status. Please consult with David Griffin, Director of International Study and External Programs, or the U.S. consulate in your home country for requirements and procedures.