Emerson Los Angeles
There are 45 residential suites containing both single and double rooms. Student housing will occupy floors 3–10. Emerson students will choose their room online through the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Gender-neutral housing is available. Each suite will house single and/or double rooms and be occupied by 4–6 students. The suitemates will share a bathroom.
The majority of rooms are single rooms.
There is wireless Internet and IP TV. There are no landlines.
The beds same as Emerson Boston beds (extra-long twin).
Each room comes with an extra-long twin bed, dresser, desk and chair.
Students can purchase fridge/microwave units exclusively through www.collegefridge.com
Each suite is temperature controlled by energy efficient radiant louvres on the outside of the building, which operate on ambient temperature and light.
No toaster ovens, coffee pots (Keurigs allowed), panini grills, candles, sun lamps, halogen lights, popcorn poppers, space heaters, etc. are allowed (i.e. nothing that creates fire)
RAs will review rules and regulations on move-in day.
SUGGESTED PACKING LIST
- EMERSON ID CARD - You need this to enter ELA.Bring your card with you and carry it at all times while in Los Angeles.Report a lost or stolen card immediately to ECPD.
- Vital Paperwork - health insurance card, financial aid documents, social security card, drivers license, etc.
- Ethernet cable - Wireless Internet is available but and Ethernet connection will always be the fastest and most reliable way to access the network.
- Installation disks and licensing keys for your computer's operating system - just in case....
- Bedding (extra-long twin) sheet sets, blanket, pillows and pillowcases
- Bed risers (if you like) COMMERCIALLY MANUFACTURED ONLY - no cinder blocks or bricks, etc.
- Broom and/or small vacuum
- Cleaning supplies: including toilet paper
- Lamps - desk, floor, etc. - HALOGEN BULBS ARE NOT PERMITTED
- Laundry detergent
- Trash cans and trash bags
- Plates, cups, utensils (washable or disposable) See the Meals section for info on what type of pots and pans to bring
- Small tool kit, sewing kit, etc.
- Personal care items and toiletries
- Posters and decorations - YOU MUST USE REMOVABLE 3M POSTER TAPE OR OTHER REMOVABLE ADHESIVE
- Clothing and footwear appropriate for your term’s weather
- Appropriate attire for your internship site
ON-CAMPUS HOUSING REQUIREMENT
On-campus housing is mandatory for undergraduate students, optional for graduate students and students over age 24. However, if your home is within Los Angeles County and you are interested in living at home with a parent or legal guardian, you can petition to live off-campus by completing a Los Angeles Housing Petition Form. Please contact David_Griffin@emerson.edu for this form.
Students will have the opportunity to choose their preferred type of room and/or room mate during the Housing Selection process. Gender neutral housing is available. Housing choices for ELA students will be done online through the Residence Life link that ELA students will provided with at the mandatory information sessions for accepted students.
Fall and spring students receive $1800 in board bucks as part of their housing cost. Please view our cost page for more detail.
Guest policies are outlined in the Undergraduate Student Handbook. You must accompany your guests at all times. On move-in/move-out days you will be provided a Guest Pass for each visitor present. These passes will allow your guests to enter the ELA Center for 24 hours.
An ELA student handbook outlining these policies will be provided to students on arrival to Los Angeles. Violations of the Student Code of Conduct are strictly forbidden and will result in disciplinary action and possible dismissal from the Los Angeles program.
MANDATORY INFORMATION SESSIONS
All accepted ELA program students are required to attend an information session. Information sessions are held in October for Spring students and in March for Fall term students. ELA Program staff will brief students about what to expect and answer questions about the program. An email announcing the dates and times of the information session will be sent to each accepted ELA student at least one month in advance.