Performing Arts: Video Auditions
Although we strongly recommend scheduling a live audition if possible, the Department of Performing Arts does accept video auditions in lieu of live auditions from applicants living outside of the contiguous 48 United States.
How To Submit Your Video Audition
- You must apply to Emerson College. Within 3-4 days of receiving your application, the Office of Undergraduate Admission will email your Emerson ID to the email account that you provided on your application. Although transcripts, recommendations, and test scores are a required part of the application due at the application deadline, they are not required to prompt the emailing of your Emerson ID. Once you receive your Emerson College ID, log in to the Emerson Application Portal, click on the Access Your Artistic Review link, and upload your resume. Ignore the section about scheduling an audition. If you have questions regarding your Emerson ID or logging in to the Emerson Application Portal, please contact Undergraduate Admission at email@example.com or 617-824-8600.
- Preview the Artistic Review Requirements by major. Record two 2-3 minute contrasting monologues from two contemporary plays (one must be comedic for Musical Theatre applicants). If you have questions regarding the Department of Performing Arts or the Artistic Reviews, please contact the Department of Performing Arts at or 617-824-8780.
- Musical Theatre applicants should also videotape 32 bars each from two contrasting musical theatre songs of your choice. The dance portion of the audition video should be 5-10 minutes in length. It should show you demonstrating technique in ballet, modern dance or jazz. The video should offer a representation of barre exercises or warm-up, center work, and traveling exercises. You may include a dance selection at the end of the video if you have some samples of performances. Be sure to identify yourself if there are several performers.
- If you are sending a DVD you must use a DVD in the “All Region” or “Region 1” format. Please label both the dvd and the box with your name and the selections you will be doing, including character, title of play and author. Before submitting the dvd we recommend viewing it to make sure that the technical quality is satisfactory; the recording should not be “produced” but adequate light and clear sound are essential. We would like to see at least three-quarters of your body as you work; close-ups are not recommended.
- If you wish to email a link to your video audition please send it to with the subject of the email as "First name Last name's video audition." Please do not email file attachments.
- If you are mailing a DVD please use a mail service that provides you with a tracking number (such as Federal Express) and mail your DVD to the Department of Performing Arts (NOT to Undergraduate Admission):
Department of Performing Arts
Performing Arts Admission Coordinator
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116-4624
- Videotapes must be received by Performing Arts by:
Early Action: November 10, 2014
Regular Action: February 27, 2015
Transfer Applicants: April 27, 2015
- Once Performing Arts has received your video audition you will receive an automated email confirmation that you have been “scheduled” into an audition (specific date and time) entitled “Emerson College Videotaped Auditions.” This audition time is a placeholder audition and is done to ensure that your application is not regarded as incomplete in your automated application checklist.