Accessing the System
- Visit eCommon and log in using your ECnet username and password.
Note: If you have difficulty logging in to eCommon, or experience errors in eCommon, please contact the Help Desk at x8080 or email@example.com.
- Select the Faculty Tab. Look for the Advising Tools menu on the right side of the page.
- Select DegreeWorks.
- Choose an advisee to view — search using their ID number or name, then click Submit.
- A drop-down box with the student's name will appear. If this is the student you want, click Submit. If more than one student matched your criteria, click the arrow on the drop-down box to select the correct student, then click Submit.
- The student's name will appear on the page with a DegreeWorks button. Click the DegreeWorks button.
- You will now enter the DegreeWorks system. You can now select any of your advisees from the drop-down box at the top of the page and view their audits.
Reviewing An Audit
The degree audit is separated into several sections.
Student Information Block
The Student Information block contains basic information such as a student's degree program, GPA, and class standing.
Take note of the legend — this will aid you when reviewing an audit.
Degree Requirements Block
The Degree Requirements block shows any unmet conditions for a degree. This area checks total credits, minimum requirements, and general education and major requirements for undergraduates or program requirements for graduate students.
Once each of these requirements is complete, applicable advice about unmet conditions will be removed from the audit.
General Education Requirements Block
For undergraduates, the audit shows a General Education Requirements block. Requirements that are completed are checked off in the boxes on the left.
When a requirement has not been met, a list of approved courses for that requirement appears.
Major and Minor or Program Requirements Block
The next block checks major and minor requirements for undergraduates or program requirements for graduate students.
When a requirement has not been met, a list of applicable courses appears.
The catalog term that is being used for the audit is listed on the right side of the blue bars that separate the parts of the audit.
The next section lists any general electives. These courses count toward the total number of credits needed for a degree but do not fulfill any specific requirements.
Courses Not Fulfilling Requirements or Incompletes Block
If the student has failed or withdrawn from courses, he/she will have a Courses Not Fulfilling Requirements or Incompletes block listing these courses.
These courses do not count toward the overall credits or the degree.
The In-progress block includes a complete list of courses for which the student is currently registered.
Any exceptions (including petitions that affect degree requirements) that have been entered will be summarized in the Exceptions block.
Select the Class History link at the top of the page to view a list of all the student's courses.
Save as PDF
Select Save as PDF at the top of the page to save and/or print the audit as a pdf.
Is your advisee thinking about changing majors or adding minors? Choose the What If tab to process an audit using desired criteria. Pick a major and, if desired, a minor. You can also enter planned courses.
Click Process What If at the top of the page to generate the What If audit.