Arts and Communication Pre-College Studio Programs
Acting Studio introduces motivated high school rising juniors and seniors to a pre-professional theater intensive. During the five-week program, the intensive focuses on introducing training found in the Department of Performing Arts Acting Programs, including classes in voice, movement for actors, improvisation, acting, auditioning techniques, ensemble theater-making, and specialty master classes. Students may earn four college credits.
The program culminates in an informal showing of an ensemble-created theater piece. The Acting Studio presentation is scheduled for Saturday, August 13, 2016.
Emerson College Acting Program faculty and student-alumni teaching artists teach the Acting Studio courses. Invited professional theater artists present master classes and studio talks.
- Typical Day: Classes in voice, movement, improvisation, and scene study, with additional specialty classes in ensemble theater making, auditioning and monologues, and stage combat.
- Master Classes: Weekly master classes taught by local theater professionals. The 2015 master class line-up included Action Theatre, Acting for the Camera, and Shakespeare.
- Studio Talks: Informal evening studio talks. The 2015 student talks series included a pizza night with Emerson's acting alumni, an open conversation with our Performing Arts Admissions Coordinator about auditioning and admissions, and play readings on picnic blankets in Boston's Public Garden.
- Field Trips: Artistic field trips that help students discover Boston's theater scene and incredible cultural offerings. Faculty and teaching assistants have accompanied students to the Museum of Fine Arts, Commonwealth Shakespeare Company, Improv Boston, and Company One, just to name a few of of the past field trips.
- Audition Preparation: To help students prepare for college auditions, we offer a bi-weekly specialty class in auditioning and monologue preparation, as well as a full audition opportunity towards the end of the program. The audition, which is set up to mirror Emerson's admissions auditions, can either serve as a practice "mock" audition for students, or students may elect to count the audition as their official Emerson audition. Either way, we support the students in making the experience a learning opportunity.
- Gain skills in movement for actors, improvisation, voice, acting, auditioning/monologue work, stage combat, and ensemble theater making.
- Discover aspects of themselves, their imaginations, and the creative process
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the concept of teamwork in a rehearsal and classroom environment
- Develop effective focus and concentration for the creative process
- Explore cultural aspects of the arts scene in the Boston area
- Develop effective communication skills both in and out of the classroom and rehearsal
- Examine available options for an effective future in an undergraduate theater program
- Utilize skills necessary for effective auditioning and interviewing for college acting programs
This program is offered for credit or noncredit.
Acting Studio Presentation
Students will have an opportunity to perform in a presentation, scheduled for Saturday, August 13, 2016.
Program Dates and Costs
Program Dates (including required orientation): July 10–August 14, 2016
Presentation: August 13, 2016
Move-out day for on-campus students: August 14, 2016–by noon
Please check back on December 11, 2015 for program costs.
Non-refundable application fee: $60
Acting Program Priority Application Deadline: March 14, 2016
Who Should Apply
Students entering grades 11 and 12 during the 2016–2017 academic year and who are between the ages of 16 and 18 as of July 10, 2016 and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Acting Studio Program must submit the required application form (completed and signed), a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following required documents.
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe: 1) what you hope to achieve during the Pre-College Program, and 2) an event you feel has prepared you for Emerson's pre-college experience.
- Essay: In one or two thoughtful and concise pages, what are you most curious about when considering Emerson's program as a summer option? What do you imagine yourself learning and exploring, and what do you hope to have discovered by the end of the program?
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Photo and résumé of your theatrical experience
Applicants to the Acting Studio Credit Option must also submit:
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts
- Official Test Scores: PSAT, SAT or ACT score
We will accept applications through June 13, 2016. Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.
The priority application deadline for Acting Studio is March 14, 2016.
International Student Applicants
The International Student Application Deadline is May 23, 2016. Please visit international student information to learn more.
Students are in classes 9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday. Two nights per week there will be an evening session, 7:00 pm–5:00 pm (in the event of a theater field trip, ending times may vary). Saturday morning master classes are every week 9:00 am–noon, except Week 5 of the program.
Schedule is subject to change.
EMERSON COLLEGE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ANY PROVISION OF THIS PROGRAM AT ANY TIME. THE COLLEGE SPECIFICALLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ITS TUITION RATES AND ANY OTHER FINANCIAL CHARGES. THE COLLEGE ALSO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REARRANGE ITS COURSES AND CLASS HOURS, TO DROP COURSES FOR WHICH REGISTRATION FALLS BELOW THE MINIMUM ENROLLMENT, AND TO CHANGE INSTRUCTOR ASSIGNMENTS.