Useful Resources While In Prague
- Prague and most of Western Europe are six hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST).
24-Hour Clock in Europe
- Most Europeans use the 24-hour clock (13:00 = 1:00 pm, 18:00 = 6:00 pm, 23:45= 11:45 pm, etc.) So try to learn “military time” before you go.
Converting Kilometers to Mileage
- You should learn how to convert kilometers into miles (a quick tip for a "rough" estimate: multiply km by .6)
Information on Prague
- For more on Prague, check out the English language weekly newspaper Prague Post
- My Czech Republic
- The Czech Republic
- Prague Tourist Information
- Living Prague
Embassy of the United States
Telephone: +420 257 022 000
Telephone after hours: +420 257 532 716
Fax: +420 257 022 815
- For information on traveling abroad: please visit the U.S. Dept. of State website and peruse travel warnings and tips for students
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Essential Information for Canadians Abroad
- British Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Smartraveller (Australia ‘s website)
- Travel Insurance Comparison Site
Learn Some Czech
If you want assistance with pronunciation, etc. you can download a free language software program at Before You Know It Lite. There is also a deluxe version for purchase, so make certain you download the “lite” version. Other languages are available as well, including French, Italian, German, and more. For those interested in an audio course, you can download language recordings from iTunes. The cost is usually less than $10.