Camera Equipment, Laptop and Software Required for Course
Digital Camera Equipment
No compact cameras!
You must bring your own DSLR camera with a minimum of 6 Megapixels.
- The camera should have a zoom lens & manual settings for shutter speed, aperture, and focus.
- The camera has to be able to shoot in RAW mode.
Additional Equipment Required
- Memory cards of at least 2–4 GB.
- Have at least 16 GB in cards. While traveling you don’t want to run out of cards.
- You are going to shoot in RAW mode. RAW files take up to 25 MB per photo.
- External memory card reader – a cable connection is no good.
- Enough conversion plugs to charge all your equipment
And please consider this equipment:
- A UV filter for protection of the lens –a lens without a filter is easily damaged.
- Lens hood to protect the lens from flare and damage.
- Extra battery for the camera (an empty battery is no excuse for missing an assignment).
Kasteel Well has a Fully Equipped Photo Studio
- In order to work at the studio, you must pay a security deposit of €150 cash during orientation weekend (in case you cause damage to the equipment in the studio, or the studio itself).
- Your deposit will be returned at the end of the course if you have not been responsible for damage to the equipment or the studio.
Laptop Computer Requirement
- You must bring your own laptop.
- An Apple laptop will work best. Most of the class will work on Apple computers.
- The laptop should be capable of working with Photoshop CC.
- If you bring a Windows Computer, you’ll need one of the latest PCs with Windows 8 & lots of memory installed.
- You must have least 50 GB of empty space on your computer hard drive. (You will take a lot of photos during the course. Check your hard drive).
The Castle computer lab has 8 IMac’s with the latest Adobe software. i.e. (Not enough for everybody and with time pressure, it will be better to have your own laptop).
- Please check: The Adobe website for more information
- The laptop should have at least 2 GB internal memory, but you will need 4 GB to work at a reasonable pace.
- If in doubt please send an email to Gerlo Beernink
You are required to install Computer Anti-Virus Software BEFORE DEPARTURE TO KW
Software Requirement - PHOTOSHOP CC
If you don’t want to buy the software you can install a 30-day trial version of Photoshop CC AFTER you arrive at KW.
DO NOT INSTALL A TRIAL VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP CC BEFORE ARRIVAL! (It won’t last the length of the program unless you install it after your first week at the castle.)
- You must bring a small portable external hard drive that can be easily transported.
- You will need it as a backup for your pictures.
- You can buy a 500 GB for around $50.
- You will be given all the necessary software on a USB drive.
- You will work with Photoshop CC and the Bridge (it comes with Photoshop).
- You can buy Photoshop at special prices at Adobe.com or through Emerson College.
- Remember, don't install the trial version Photoshop until you arrive at Kasteel Well.
The Castle computer lab has 8 IMac’s with the latest Adobe software.
(Not enough for everybody with time pressure).
- It will be better to have your own laptop.