Camera Equipment, Laptop and Software Required for Course
Digital Camera Equipment
No compact cameras!
You must bring your own DSLR camera with a minimum of 6 Megapixels.
- The camera should have a zoom lens & manual settings for shutter speed, aperture, and focus.
- The camera has to be able to shoot in RAW mode.
Additional Equipment Required
- Memory cards of at least 2–4 GB.
- Have at least 16 GB in cards. While traveling you don’t want to run out of cards.
- You are going to shoot in RAW mode. RAW files take up to 25 MB per photo.
- External memory card reader – a cable connection is no good.
- Enough conversion plugs to charge all your equipment
And please consider this equipment:
- A UV filter for protection of the lens –a lens without a filter is easily damaged.
- Lens hood to protect the lens from flare and damage.
- Extra battery for the camera (an empty battery is no excuse for missing an assignment).
Kasteel Well has a Fully Equipped Photo Studio
- In order to work at the studio, you must pay a security deposit of €150 cash during orientation weekend (in case you cause damage to the equipment in the studio, or the studio itself).
- Your deposit will be returned at the end of the course if you have not been responsible for damage to the equipment or the studio.
Laptop Computer Requirement
- You must bring your own laptop.
- An Apple laptop will work best. Most of the class will work on Apple computers.
- The laptop should be capable of working with Photoshop CC.
- If you bring a Windows Computer, you’ll need one of the latest PCs with Windows 8 & lots of memory installed.
- You must have least 50 GB of empty space on your computer hard drive. (You will take a lot of photos during the course. Check your hard drive).
The Castle computer lab has 8 IMac’s with the latest Adobe software. i(Not enough for everybody and with time pressure, it will be better to have your own laptop).
- Please check: The Adobe website for more information
- The laptop should have at least 2 GB internal memory, but you will need 4 GB to work at a reasonable pace.
- If in doubt please send an email to Gerlo Beernink
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO INSTALL Computer Anti-Virus Software BEFORE DEPARTURE TO KW
Software Requirement - PHOTOSHOP CC
If you don’t want to buy the software you can install a 30-day trial version of Photoshop CC AFTER you arrive at KW.
DO NOT INSTALL A TRIAL VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP CC BEFORE ARRIVAL! (It won’t last the length of the program unless you install it after your first week at the castle).
- You must bring a small portable external hard drive that can be easily transported. You will need it as a backup for your pictures. You can buy a 500 GB for around $ 50.00.
- You will be given all the necessary software on a USB drive.
- You will work with Photoshop CC and the Bridge (it comes with Photoshop).
- You can buy Photoshop at special prices at Adobe.com or through Emerson College.
Students try to capture in digital photography the same light and color as in Vermeer’s painting The Geographer.
Students working in the computer lab on their digital photography assignments.