International Study & External Programs
Non-Affiliated Study Abroad Options
Emerson College students may elect to study abroad with non-affiliated international education abroad programs.
Emerson College does not have an "approved list" of education abroad programs or program providers. The program you select must be owned and operated by a regionally accredited U.S. educational institution or have an affiliation with an accredited U.S. institution [a U.S. School of Record]. Students interested in non-affiliated programs must meet with an education abroad advisor prior to beginning their program search.
All education abroad transfer credit must be pre-approved by the Registrar’s Office. Approval of coursework for transfer, particularly within the major, is not automatic, even with an accredited program. Transfer credit pre-approval is handled online through eCommon.
Emerson College does not allow the transfer of Emerson grants, scholarships or financial aid to non-affiliated education abroad programs. Generally, federal and state aid, and outside scholarships may be transferred. Students who wish to apply for aid must fill out the Consortium/Contractual Agreement for Financial Aid (PDF).
Emerson students are NOT allowed to spend their final semester at a non-Emerson program. The final 16 credits must be completed at Emerson.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ALL FORMS FOR SUMMER 2015 AND FALL 2015, INCLUDING THE REGISTRATION CONTRACT FOR NON-EMERSON EDUCATION ABROAD, AND THE CONSORTIUM AGREEMENT FOR FINANCIAL AID, IS APRIL 30, 2015. FOR SPRING 2016 THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS DECEMBER 1, 2015.
Follow these procedures if you are interested in education abroad through non-affiliated international programs:
- CALL the Education Abroad and Domestic Programs Office at 617-824-8567 to request an appointment to discuss study abroad options and programs with a Study Abroad Advisor.
- If you have questions about study abroad that does NOT involve making an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Study Abroad Interest Form before your scheduled appointment. Please note you must fill out all areas on the form. Once you submit the form online you will receive confirmation.
- Select a study abroad program/institution that carries U.S. Regional Accreditation or has a "School of Record" that carries U.S. Regional Accreditation (the Study Abroad Advisor will guide you in this regard).
- Submit all potential courses for pre-approval via eCommon.
Complete the Registration Contract for Non-Emerson Study Abroad (PDF), which requires you to obtain certain required signatures such as "Host Institution Official". Please follow these steps:
- Complete section 1 of the Registration Contract for Non-Emerson Study Abroad, sign and date it.
- Submit the form to the host institution (the one offering the education abroad program) for required signatures. Generally it is most efficient if you scan the signed form and email it.
- After obtaining the Host School’s Official Signatures, you must now obtain the signature of the Director of Education Abroad and Domestic Programs. Signed forms may be submitted in person or scanned and submitted via email. The office is located in the Walker Building, 120 Boylston Street, 10th Floor, rooms #1009 & #1010.
- After the Director of Education Abroad and Domestic Programs signs off on the Registration Contract for Non-Emerson Study Abroad, he will forward the form to the Registrar's Office for final approval and education abroad registration.
If you are seeking financial aid, complete the Consortium/Contractual Agreement for Financial Aid, which requires you to obtain detailed information and an official signature from the Host Institution (the one offering the education abroad program). Please follow these steps:
- Submit the Financial Aid Consortium Agreement to the host institution for required signatures.
- The host institution will send the signed agreement to Emerson’s Financial Aid office.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that this agreement has been sent to the Financial Aid Office. Please note that institutional aid is not portable to a non-Emerson program.
- If your enrollment plans change, please send an email from your ECmail account to email@example.com.
Fund for Education Abroad
I.I.E. Passport Study Abroad Funding
Boren Awards for International Study
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Study Abroad Scholarships
International Education Financial Aid
International Student Loan
Study Abroad Loans
As of 03/20/15. Subject to Change.