Pre-Arrival Information for Kasteel Well
Mandatory Meeting for Accepted Students
Once students are accepted into the program, they will be required to attend an information session. Information sessions are held in mid-October for spring attendees and mid-March for fall term participants. Program staff will brief students about what to expect and answer any questions or concerns regarding the program. A packet of important information will be handed out. After the information sessions are held, housing forms will be emailed to students so they can begin the process of room and roommate selection.
Group Flight Travel Arrangements
Every fall and spring semester Emerson’s travel agent arranges a round-trip group flight from Boston to Amsterdam. The cost of the ticket varies each semester. The cost of the group flight is included as part of the European Travel Package cost. This cost will be added to every castle student’s tuition bill. Castle students who do not travel on the group flight will be credited for the cost of the round trip ticket on their tution bill.
The advantage of booking the group flight:
- Students are escorted to Logan Airport from Emerson College on group buses the day of departure.
- Students are met at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam by castle staff on arrival day.
- Castle staff arranges a group bus to the castle, some 2 1/2 hours drive from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam.
- Students on the group flight are also escorted to the airport on departure.
90-Day Maximum Stay in Europe without a visa
Please visit the passport and visa section for more detail.
Independent Flight Arrangements to and from Kasteel Well
Of course, students have the option of making their own travel arrangements to the Netherlands. Participants making their own flight arrangements should refer to the term calendar for mandatory arrival/departure dates. When making your own flight arrangements, you must be aware of the parameters involved in doing so. You will find out about the rules involved with making your own flight arrangements at the mandatory meeting for accepted castle students. Some of the requirements of independent travel are listed below:
- You must arrive at the castle by 11am on arrival day. There will be no exceptions to this rule! The castle orientation program starts on arrival to Kasteel Well. You must depart Kasteel Well by 10am (or earlier) on departure day.
- You must arrange and pay for your own way to the castle, unless you are able to meet the group flight students at Schiphol Airport to take the group bus.
- Public transportation from Schiphol Airport to the castle involves the subway, 2 trains, a bus and a 15 minute walk with your luggage. It is a 2.5 hour car ride from Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam to the castle and that a taxi will cost in excess of €150
- Public transportation from Dusseldorf International Airport to the castle involves a train and a bus and walking with your luggage. Itis approximately 1 hour by taxi from Dusseldorf Intl. Airport to the castle and will cost approximately €100.
- You must plan your own travel itinerary in accordance with the group flight arrival/departure times.
Independent Travel Excursions
In addition to the two group excursions, you will have one extended period of free time during the term when you may make a longer trip. Please see your term calendar for the dates. You will start the independent travel break from the second group excursion city. This means you will need to plan ahead for overnight, food, and transportation costs during this period. Please budget for this expense.
Madrid, a new excursion city for spring semester students
International Student Identification Card (ISIC)
All participants are required to carry an International Student Identification Card. These cards will be provided as part of the travel package and should not be purchased individually. The ISIC cards will be handed out at the day of departure meeting.
With the ISIC card, you receive reductions on all forms of transportation; in hotels and hostels; at museums, movies, galleries, and special events; and in many shops. You will also receive some travel insurance, some emergency assistance service, sickness and accident insurance, and access to a toll-free 24-hour traveler’s assistance hotline. The card is valid for one year.
Let hostels know you have an ISIC card; it will get you discounts. Find out more about the ISIC card