Writing, Literature & Publishing Faculty
Pablo Medina is the author of eleven books, among them the poetry collection Points of Balance/Puntos de apoyo (2005) and the novel The Cigar Roller, which was a Book Sense Notable for 2005.
In 2008, Medina and fellow poet Mark Statman published a new English version of García Lorca's Poet in New York, which John Ashbery called "the definitive version of Lorca's masterpiece." Acclaimed as "lyrical and powerfully evocative" and "deserving a prominent spot in today's literature of exile," Medina's work has appeared in various languages, among them Spanish, French, German, and Arabic and in periodicals and magazines all over the world. Winner of numerous awards for his writing and teaching, Medina was on the board of AWP from 2002-2007, serving as Board President in 2005-2006.
Office: Ansin 1005
Current CoursesTop Mult Genres and Hybrid Frm (LI615)
- Pork Rind and Cuban Songs (poems), Nuclassics and Science.
- Exiled Memories: A Cuban Childhood (memoir), University of Texas Press.
- Everyone Will Have to Listen (translations, with C. Hospital), Linden Lane Press.
- Arching into the Afterlife (poems), Bilingual Review/Press.
- The Marks of Birth (novel), Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- The Floating Island (poems), White Pine Press.
- The Return of Felix Nogara (novel), Persea Books.
- Puntos de apoyo (poems in Spanish), Editorial Betania.
- The Cigar Roller (novel), Grove/Atlantic, Inc.
- Points of Balance/Puntos de apoyo (poems), Four Way Books.
- Poet in New York/Poeta en Nueva York (translation, with Mark Statman), Grove/Atlantic, Inc.
- The Man Who Wrote on Water (poems), Hanging Loose Press.
- Cubop City Blues (novel), Grove/Atlantic, Inc.
- Calle Habana (poems and photographs, with Carlos Ordóñez), PhotoStroud.
WLP Dept. News
WLP students, faculty, and alumni bring creativity and unparalleled passion to the study and craft of writing, literature, and publishing.