Department of Visual & Media Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts
The undergraduate faculty of Visual and Media Arts is committed to the following learning objectives for the BFA in Media Arts Production program:
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the history, theory, and practice of visual and media arts.
- Students will demonstrate technical proficiency in media arts production.
- Students will create media arts with originality and aesthetic depth.
- Students will demonstrate their ability to research and analyze media arts.
- Students will apply ethical principles in the production and analysis of media arts.
- Students will create an advanced level project in their own media specialization.
Students are encouraged to pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA), which includes a yearlong, intensive capstone project in the student’s chosen medium. The BFA encourages innovative exploration of voice, form, culture, and genre.
Students are eligible to apply for entry to the BFA program in their junior year. Applications and information about the application process are available through the office of the BFA program director in the Visual and Media Arts Department. Students applying for the BFA should have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and should maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average to continue. Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 may appeal by petition to the BFA committee. Admission to the BFA program is competitive.
Thesis Project: Students admitted to the BFA program must complete their thesis project by the end of their last semester at the College on the Boston campus.
In addition to the requirements listed in the Bachelor of Arts - Production Track, an additional 16 credits in media production courses are required for the BFA degree (see specializations), including two consecutive semesters of VM 490 BFA Production Workshop to be taken during the student’s final two semesters on the Boston campus. All students must submit portfolios, transcripts, and project proposals by the designated deadline for BFA committee review for admission to VM 490. Admission is by committee approval only.
The remaining 16 credits of media production course requirements must include:
- An advanced-level course in the student’s chosen field of production; and
- An advanced-level production elective that supports development or completion of the final project.
Students should note that the BFA program leaves limited opportunity for electives. Students must consult the BFA program director for detailed information on the required and recommended elective coursework for the BFA degree.