Department of Visual & Media Arts
It's All True
A Festival of Outstanding Student Documentary Work from Emerson College—Showcase & Mentor Project
The purpose of It’s All True is to showcase student documentary work and to encourage interest in documentary production at Emerson College. One of the unique features of this festival is the opportunity for selected students to receive one-to-one mentoring with an experienced documentary filmmaker from the Emerson faculty.
- Work completed after January 2011.
- Recommended length is under 30 minutes, but longer works will be considered.
- Students may submit directly or faculty may nominate non-fiction projects from any Emerson College class, undergraduate or graduate, or from any co-curricular group. Documentary-experimental hybrids are welcomed. Mockumentaries are not.
Early Deadline (in order to be considered for mentoring): Monday November 26, 2012, 5:00 pm
Late Deadline (completed works only): Thursday December 20, 2012, 5:00 pm
The selected films will be shown in early February 2013 in the Bright Family Screening Room.
Projects can be uploaded into Median, Vimeo or YouTube (if password protected please provide password). Be sure to read the Median Upload Guide to properly compress and upload your video into Median.
Works-in-progress will be considered for mentoring, provided they will be completed prior to the festival.
There is no limit on the number of submissions you can make. Just resubmit the form for each production.
Selection for the festival will be made by the Festival Committee comprised of Emerson VMA faculty and staff. A nationally-known documentary filmmaker will participate in the judging and screenings.
- A cash prize will be awarded to the Best Social Issue / Community Action documentary
- Additional prizes will be awarded to all selected work in the form of various film/video services and cinema memberships, and/or equipment & software coupons and vouchers.
VMA Department news
Read, watch, and listen to the latest news and projects from VMA students, faculty, and alumni.