Lacerte Family Writing & Academic Resource Center
The WARC welcomes undergraduate and graduate students who wish to improve their English writing and speaking skills in one-on-one and small-group consultations. Our staff is sensitive to the challenges international students may face in a new academic and cultural enviornment. Learn more:
- Writing Tutoring
- English Language Support
- Academic and Cultural Adjustment
- Tips for Academic Success
- Helpful Websites for International Students
Writing Consultants work with students individually on all phases of the writing process. Many students come to the Writing Center because they wish to have someone go over a paper and give feedback. Some of the issues that Writing Consultants may address include
- brainstorming ideas for a paper and outlining major points;
- refining a thesis statement;
- organizing content;
- integrating resource material into a research paper and documenting sources correctly; and
- helping to write introductions and conclusions.
- Students may make appointments with Academic Success Consultants at the WARC for language support, including grammar and vocabulary in writing and speaking.
- Students may make appointments with Academic Success Consultants to rehearse class presentations, speeches, and public speaking projects.
- The WARC offers a weekly conversation group hosted by a Consultant. Students can practice their English conversation by discussing selected topics in American culture and current events.
Students may request an appointment with Linda Miller, Associate Director of International Student Services, to discuss any academic and cultural adjustment concerns. These might involve English in the classroom and outside, academic expectations at Emerson, course difficulties, and cultural adjustment issues. Request an appointment by calling the WARC at 617-824-7874.
Helpful Websites for International Students
Diana Hacker-Bedford St. Martins: A Writer's Reference. In the ESL Help section, you'll find exercises on articles, verbs, participles, and prepositions.
Purdue University OWL. Purdue University's extensive online writing center offers writing and English language information and exercises.
Dave's ESL Cafe. The For Students section of this website discusses popular idioms and slang.
Activities for Students. Interactive quizzes, exercises, and puzzles written by teachers allow you to test your English language knowledge.