Norman and Irma Mann Stearns Distinguished Faculty Award
- Internal Pre-Approval Form
- Review Process
- Application Instructions
- Final Progress Report Requirement
- Contact Information
Emerson College Internal Funding Proposal – Pre-Approval Forms are not required for this award.
Several years ago, Dr. Norman Stearns and Irma Mann Stearns established a distinguished faculty award in their name to honor a full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty member in recognition of outstanding scholarly or creative achievement. A $3,000 award is presented annually to one applicant. This funding may be used to enhance an ongoing project or for the development of a new scholarly or creative endeavor. Travel is strongly encouraged as part of the project.
In evaluating proposals, the committee will consider:
- the applicant’s scholarly or creative achievement(s);
- the quality, merits, feasibility, of the project for which the award funds will be used; and
- publications, DVDs, or other supporting material.
All online applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Development and Research Council (FDRC), augmented by a part-time faculty member, and with input from department Chairs, school Deans, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs regarding feasibility based on department, school, and college resources. Applicants will need to fill out and submit a pre-approval form before the application deadline in order to identify and define the proposal’s impact on workload and College resources. The FDRC will make the final decisions for funding.
|March 30 - May 23, 2014||Application period|
|May 23||Online application deadline|
|September 2014||Award will be announced|
- Eligible faculty members can access the online application and instructions through eCampus using their ECNet login.
- Applicants should select the Mann Stearns (2014-2015) to access the application
- Applicants can fill out the application, save, and return to finish at any time until the application deadline on May 23, 2014.
- You may upload supplemental materials (publications, PDFs, media) to the online application that supports the proposal.
A final written report is not required, but the successful applicant is expected to meet with Irma Mann Stearns and other members of Emerson College to discuss the final outcome and deliverables.
Questions can be directed to Elizabeth Demski, Associate Vice President for the Office of Research and Creative Scholarship.