Using the Library's Space
The behavior of individuals using the Library must conform with the Library Code of Conduct and College’s Student Code of Conduct. Library patrons must be considerate and respectful of others, avoid making loud noises or causing disturbances and refrain from stealing, mutilating, defacing or destroying library materials, equipment and furnishings.
For more information about accessing the Library and the Walker building see the Library's Access Policy.
The Library Classroom is used primarily for classes participating in the Library Instruction Program. Classes scheduled through the Library are always its first priority.
Every Monday, a schedule is posted indicating when the classroom is reserved that week for library teaching purposes. Check the Instruction Calendar for the schedule of library sessions. The classroom may be used by individuals when the Library is open and the room is not booked for a class.
It is not Library policy to install additional software on any classroom computers.
Study and viewing rooms are for academic purposes only. This includes group work and media viewing for courses. Rooms on the fourth and fifth floors are equipped with VHS/DVD/CD playback equipment and may be used to view the Library's media collection.
Auditions, rehearsals, film shoots, and departmental and organizational meetings are not permitted. To request other spaces on campus, use SpaceBook.
Making a Reservation
You may reserve one study and viewing room per day for up to two hours at a time and up to two weeks in advance. Reservations may be made at the Circulation Desk, by phone at 617-824-8668, or by using SpaceBook (http://events.emerson.edu/reserve) online.
Dry-erase markers, Erasers, Keys & Remote Controls
- Dry-erase markers and erasers are available for check-out at the Reserve Desk.
- Keys and remote controls to unlock the media cabinets in the fourth and fifth floor study rooms are available for check-out at the Media Desk.
- These items must be returned on time and before the library on the third floor closes for the evening. Failure to do so will result in a fine of $1 per hour.
- Please keep the study rooms neat and return all furniture to its proper place.
- If you engage in destructive or disruptive behavior, you will be asked to leave the study room.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your study room reservation, we reserve the right to check the room out to another party.
- If you are using a room someone else has reserved in advance, you must leave when they arrive.
hosting an event in the library
Space in the library is available for events hosted by student organizations on a limited basis. Requests for events should be appropriate for a library setting, including but not limited to: Readings of student work; dramatic readings and performances; guest speakers or readers hosted by a student organization; and small receptions for literary magazines and student publications. To request to host an event at the library, please read the requirements and fill out the form below.
Readings with an expected attendance of up to 40 seated guests can take place in the Presidents room; readings or receptions with up to 30 guests can take place in the space across from the Reserve Desk. Other event types for either of these spaces may be accepted on a case by case basis.
Two weeks’ notice required for all events.
Events can be held after 6pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays during regular semester hours. No events can be held during extended hours. Check the Library's Calendar for details.
Food and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted.
All requested events are subject to the approval of the Library Director based on the event’s appropriateness for the library and the library’s availability on the date(s) requested.