The College purchases 12,000 megawatt-hours of renewable energy certificates in the form of wind power, which offsets nearly 100% of its annual electricity consumption.
- Emerson is a member of the Green Power Partnership.
- Emerson has been recognized by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency as the 2010-11 Individual Conference Champion for using more green power than any other school in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference. Emerson beat its conference rivals by purchasing 12 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power, representing almost 100% of the school’s annual electricity usage.
- Campus-wide, motion detectors have been installed in offices so overhead lights shut off automatically when people leave the rooms.
- The College participates in NStar’s energy equipment rebates and has been reimbursed over $200,000 in the last several years.
- The College purchases Energy Star-rated computers and other appliances whenever possible.
- The Little Building is heated by the Trigen district steam system.