Blackboard Connect, Emerson's Emergency Notification System (ENS), simultaneously transmits messages by telephone, email, and SMS (text messaging).
Emergency Notification System (ENS)
Emerson utilizes a state-of-the-art Emergency Notification System (ENS) called BLACKBOARD CONNECT to communicate with students, faculty, and staff in the event of a major emergency on the Boston campus. It simultaneously transmits messages by telephone, email, and SMS (text messaging). The College strongly encourages all students, faculty, and staff to provide up-to-date contact information by completing the ENS registration form.
In the event of a major emergency in the vicinity of an Emerson campus location (Boston, Los Angeles, or Kasteel Well), emergency notices will be posted and updated as soon as possible on the Emerson College homepage, the Police Department site, the Parents page, and the Students page.
Students and their families should devise a personal communication plan for emergencies (e.g., students should plan to call and/or email family members directly). Each student should have a secondary contact person in the event that his/her primary contact is unreachable.
Please read and make sure you understand the following:
- Emergency Response Guide
- Emergency Response Guide for Faculty
- Emergency Evacuation Plans:
It is important to have a thorough understanding of the Response Guides and Evacuation Plans before emergencies occur.
Emergency Closing and Delayed Opening - Severe Weather
In case of severe weather the college will announce a closing or delayed opening on www.emerson.edu home page, and on local radio and TV stations. Please read the Emergency Closing and Delayed Opening Policy for more information.
7 News NBC, one of the options Emerson College uses to announce the closing, delayed opening for severe weather offers a feature to receive notifications on your cell phone. To sign up please visit ww.whdh.com and click on "Closings Alerts." You will need to input your cell phone numer, the name of your carrier and can then choose the schools you want to be updated about.
Emergency Line: 617-824-8888
Business Line (non-emergency requests and information): 617-824-8555
Security is everyone's responsibility at Emerson. These steps can help ensure your own safety and the safety of others:
1. Carry your student ID at all times and cooperate with College officials asking you to identify yourself.
2. When walking after dark, use the "buddy system." Stay on main streets with good lighting and pedestrian traffic.
3. Report all suspicious activity on Emerson property to the Police Department at 617-824-8555.
4. Do not invite unfamiliar individuals into campus facilities.
5. When entering and exiting a campus facility, secure the door behind you and follow check-in and check-out procedures.
6. Immediately report all incidents of theft, intrusion, or physical harm to the Police Department.
7. The MBTA provides safe and reliable service from 5:30 am to 12:30 am daily. To check routes and maps, visit www.mbta.com.