Please also see the Emerson College Copyright Policy.
Media Duplication Policy
- All media duplications made by Media Services will adhere to the Copyright Law of the United States and the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia.
- Media Services staff will not knowingly make equipment, facilities,or personnel available for the illegal duplication of copyrighted media.
- Media Services will not duplicate entire copyrighted media without prior written permission from the owner of the copyright. It is the instructor’s responsibility to secure the necessary permission.
- Duplication of portions of copyrighted media for academic purposes is governed on a case-by-case basis by the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia.
Off-Air Recording Policy
Media Services records broadcast programs, including cable programs, for instructional support. The following conditions ensure that the recording meets current guidelines for off-air taping for educational purposes:
- Off-air recordings are requested and used by individual instructors only.
- Media Services erases off-air recordings 45 calendar days after the broadcast date. Off-air recordings cannot be retained longer without written permission of the copyright holder.
- The instructor must obtain this permission if he or she wishes to keep the program longer than 45 days.
- Off-air recordings may not be altered from their original content, and may not be physically or electronically combined to produce compilations or anthologies.
- Instructors sign an agreement to use off-air recordings only for instructional purposes, and to abide by the above policies.