Clients may reserve laptops in person in the Media Services Center (MSC), located on the third floor of 180 Tremont Street, or over the phone (617-824-8676). Advance reservations are encouraged as equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students may borrow this equipment for use in classrooms on campus only. If the laptop is used during a night time course and the student can not return the item back to Media Services by 9:45 pm it must be returned by 9:00 am the next morning. Students that need computer resources for projects are encouraged to use computers in Media Services production facilities, in Computer Labs around campus, or use laptops in the Library.
Faculty reservations are for up to 48 hours during normal semester hours. Longer rentals (4 to 8 days) may be arranged by consulting with Cheryl Schaffer, Head of Media Services, at 617-824-8406. All reservations are dependent on equipment availability and demand.
Please give specific information about your equipment needs, and whether or not you will need operation instruction.
Clients must present a current, valid Emerson ID card when checking out a laptop, and must sign a waiver accepting financial responsibility for lost or damaged equipment. This waiver also outlines Media Services’ laptop use policies:
- No food or drink is allowed near the equipment.
- No additional hardware may be attached to the laptops (laptops, CD-ROM drives, printers, etc.).
- Users may not install their own software or change system settings.
- Files left on laptops will be deleted upon return of the equipment; users are encouraged to make copies of their files before returning laptops
- Laptops must not be used for illegal activities or to interfere with or disrupt other users, services, or equipment. Disruptions include, but are not limited to, harassment, distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer viruses, and attempts to make unauthorized entry to other computers.
- Users agree to return equipment by a specific time. If a laptop is returned after that time, users must contact Media Services as soon as possible and will be charged a late fee of $10.00 per hour.
Neither MSC nor Emerson College assumes any responsibility for damage to external disks, computers, or any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from use of the computer or malfunctioning Media Services’ hardware or software.
Please contact Cheryl Schaffer, Head of Media Services, at 617-824-8406 if you have further questions about laptop use.