I.T. Help Desk
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Symantec Endpoint Protection is the latest version of Symantec's popular and effective anti-virus software available to all staff and faculty members of the Emerson College community. Endpoint will provide you with the latest and most up-to-date virus protection. It also brings you powerful new features, such as network-based threat detection and active email scanning. View more information about Symantec Endpoint Protection.
If you have questions or concerns, or are uncomfortable performing the install on your own, call the I.T. Help Desk at x8080 or email email@example.com.
Symantec Endpoint Protection is available for all staff and faculty in the Emerson community running Microsoft Windows. It is not available for the Macintosh OS X platform.
For students running Microsoft Windows, the IT Help Desk recommends Microsoft Security Essentials - it's free, easy to use, and very effective!
How do I get it?
- Click the link below corresponding to your status.
- Click Save and then save the installer file (Endpoint Setup.exe) in an easy-to-find location, such as your desktop.
- Run it by double-clicking the installer file, and the install will begin. Make sure to click Run if you see a security warning regarding this file.
- No other action is required on your part! This install will remove your current copy of Symantec AntiVirus (if you have it installed) as it installs the new version.
- You may notice things happening in the background as the install continues; this is normal! You may continue to use your computer while Symantec installs.
- This file is only available while you are on the Emerson network. You will be prompted for your ECnet username and password to download the file.
- You will also need to download the correct installer for your computer's architecture: 32bit or 64bit. If you don't know, you can check in the Properties of "My Computer" or call the I.T. Help Desk if you need help identifying your architecture.
Staff/Faculty Installer for Emerson Owned Computers
Staff/Faculty Installer for Personally Owned Computers
You should see the installer working as soon as you run it, but it will also run in the background for some time before it finishes. Typically, the install should take no longer than 15 minutes.
Windows may alert you that your computer is at risk because Symantec AntiVirus is turned off. You may see other similar messages about the security of your system. These are normal, and will only last for a moment.
Did it work?
The first thing you'll likely see happen is a LiveUpdate window. This is downloading the newest definitions; it will download and close on its own. You may first see a message telling you your definitions are out-of-date; this will be remedied as soon as LiveUpdate runs.
After that, the easiest way to confirm installation is to look in the System Tray for the new Symantec Endpoint shield icon; the green light tells you you're protected!
Clicking on Open Symantec Endpoint Protection will open the following window, where you should see everything up-to-date and your computer fully protected.
You may now delete the downloaded installer file. Please restart your computer to complete the installation.
If you have questions or concerns, or are uncomfortable performing the install on your own, call the I.T Help Desk at x8080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.