I.T. Help Desk
Purchasing a Personal Computer
If you need information or technical assistance before making a purchase, call the IT Help Desk at 617-824-8080 or email email@example.com. You can also visit us in person at 120 Boylston Street, Room 404A.
Emerson College does not favor one computer platform over another. We recommend that Emerson students purchase whatever system they are most comfortable using. Any software required in classroom activities is provided in Emerson's computer labs. Students should not worry about purchasing specific high-end software until they have used it in our computer labs and know specifically what they will need.
Some courses require the purchase of additional hardware, such as portable hard drives or removable media. Floppy disks are unreliable forms of media; we recommend a USB flash drive for keeping your files portable. It's a good idea to consult with faculty about specific requirements.
- Internet Connectivity: Most any new computer you purchase today will come with capability to connect to both Emerson's high-speed wired network and its expansive wireless network. Specifically, make sure your computer comes with an Ethernet card and an 802.11b (or better) wireless card. The wireless card should be capable of connecting to a WPA-Enterprise 802.1x network. This is generally only a concern if you purchase off-brand USB wireless adapters.
- Anti-virus Software: Computers connecting to Emerson's network are required to have anti-virus software installed. Symantec Endpoint Protection is provided free to all Emerson students, though the definitions will only update when you are on campus. You may choose to install your own anti-virus software, but having more than one anti-virus program installed at once can be detrimental to the operating system, and is NOT recommended. Read more about anti-virus software options at Computer Maintenance »
Where to Purchase
Students, faculty, staff, and alumni* of Emerson College may purchase a full range of computer products for personal use at special academic pricing through Apple, Dell, Harvard University Technology Products and Services, and Lenovo. Available products include desktop computers, laptops, printers, monitors, software, accessories, and electronics.
In order to receive any educational discounts, you may need to provide an Emerson College ID** number when you order equipment. You will need an Emerson College ID and a second form of picture ID if you pick up an order at Harvard University Technology Products and Services.
You may have computer purchases shipped to your home or to a residence hall. Emerson College does not assume any responsibility for personal purchases from Apple, Dell, Harvard University Technology Products and Services, or any other vendor.
*Alumni qualify for Dell purchases only.
**An Emerson College acceptance letter may also be used as proof of admission.
Harvard University Technology Products and Services
Emerson has a relationship with Harvard University Technology Products and Services and Emerson students may purchase directly from Harvard at reduced prices.
Note: Harvard generally has lower prices than Apple’s standard academic discount and the lowest prices for Adobe software.
- See the latest Harvard Specials
- Call telephone sales at 617-495-5450 to order. Hours are 9:00 am–5:00 pm/M–F
- You can purchase directly from the Apple Store, including iPods and iPhones!
- Hardware can also be purchased in-person at physical Apple Stores with your Emerson ID
Note: The zip code for Emerson College is 02116.
- Purchase directly from Dell.