I.T. Help Desk
Back to School Essentials
Students need to make sure they're ready for the new school year.
Welcome, freshmen, and welcome back, returning students!
Back-to-school time comes around every year, and students need to make sure they're ready. We're here to help you make sure your technology is ready for the new year!
Below are some basic guidelines to help you prepare:
- Computer configurations: Your computer should meet Emerson’s recommended computer configurations, outlined on the I.T. Help Desk Computer Purchasing page.
- Educational discount: As a student, even an incoming one, you qualify for a significant educational discount if you are considering purchasing new computer hardware or software. Check out the sidebar to the right for more information about popular vendors offering an educational discount. Harvard University Technology Products and Services typically offers the lowest prices for Apple products!
- Ethics: Read and understand Emerson’s Electronic Information Policy so you use the College’s network in a legal and ethical manner.
- Updated operating system: An updated operating system free of viruses and spyware is required to access the Emerson network. Plus, you want a computer that is virus-free and safe to use, right? The Help Desk has two guides to help: Basic Computer Maintenance and Avoiding and Removing Spyware.
- Anti-virus software: Anti-virus software is required to access the Emerson network. Fortunately, Emerson offers Symantec’s Endpoint Protection Anti-virus for free! If you don't already have anti-virus protection, download Endpoint when you arrive at Emerson. However, you should NOT install multiple anti-virus programs, as they can conflict with each other! You must be on campus to download the Endpoint software.
- Ethernet cable: If you will be living in an Emerson residence hall, bring an ethernet cable of about 15–25 feet to connect your computer to your room’s ethernet jack. You can buy one at the Emerson College Bookstore or any electronics store. The wireless network is always available, but you don't want to leave yourself without the option of connecting to the Internet.
- Wireless connections: Speaking of the wireless network, we've got a big one! We've also got instructions for all the popular operating systems and mobile devices, so we'll get you connected!
- Licensing: Make sure you have the license key for your copy of your computer’s operating system. If you didn’t buy it, the IT Help Desk can’t fix it! Operating system keys come with new computers and are usually somewhere on the computer’s case. You should also bring all your software installation CDs and their related licenses in case you need to reinstall something.
- Wireless devices: The use of routers and wireless extension devices (such as the Airport Express) is strictly prohibited on campus.
USE YOUR EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT
All students, staff, and faculty at Emerson are entitled to an educational discount on personal computer hardware and software purchases. Claim this discount from a number of vendors:
• Harvard University Technology Products and Services