Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Emerson College will be known as the leading institution for inclusive excellence among our peers in the arts and communication.
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion provides strategic leadership for Emerson College’s work on diversity and inclusion. Utilizing an inclusive excellence framework, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion facilitates goal setting and the development of related actions that will fully integrate inclusive practices into the life of the institution.
“Making excellence inclusive is a call to action for educators who believe that high-quality, practical liberal education should be the standard of excellence for all students. It is a framework for educators to resist and reverse historical standards of inclusion and excellence. The intended outcome is that colleges and universities integrate diversity, inclusion, equity, and educational quality efforts into their missions and operations on an institutional level, leading to excellence in learning for all students.” (AAC&U)
Emerson College faculty and staff believe that a diverse and inclusive learning environment enhances the quality of an Emerson education and advances the College’s mission.
The Inclusive Excellence model is built upon the following principles (AAC&U):
- Institutional excellence is not possible without full engagement with diversity. An excellent institution is an inclusive institution.
- All students, faculty and staff should have the opportunity to succeed.
- All members of our community, especially students, benefit educationally from participating in a community where people differ from one another. Diversity enhances the educational experience of students.
- In order to be successful as citizens and workers, Emerson graduates must have the intercultural competence to live and work in a diverse world.
- An inclusive community is characterized by mutual respect, a sense of belonging, and personal safety.
Utilizing an Inclusive Excellence model reflects the understanding that diversity and inclusion are catalysts for institutional change and the foundation for educational excellence. At Emerson not only do we seek to be excellent but we hope to move from excellent to extraordinary.