Cutler Majestic Theatre
When Emerson College purchased the Cutler Majestic Theatre in 1983, it had fallen into severe physical decline, and faced imminent demolition.
The 1903 Beaux Arts opera house, which The Boston Globe called “the most beautiful playhouse Boston has yet seen” at its opening, served as a metaphor for the derelict condition of Boston’s historic Theatre District.
Emerson College’s visionary leaders understood that the success of its new theater hinged on the renewal of the neighborhood it anchored. In partnership with the City of Boston, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and neighborhood groups, Emerson spearheaded efforts to create special zoning for the district that preserved theaters and support spaces while encouraging sensitive mixed use development.
Emerson College’s visionary leaders made a major contribution to the renewal of the Theatre District through the Majestic Theatre renovation, completed in 1989.
Awards received for the Cutler Majestic Theatre
- National Preservation Honor Award (2004), National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Award for Outstanding Theatre Restoration Project (2004), League of Historic American Theatres
- Modernization Grand Prize winner (2004), Buildings magazine June 2004 issue
- Section Award (2004), Illuminating Engineering Society of North America
- Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award (2003) for outstanding achievement
- Preservation Achievement Award (2003) for Significant Renovation/Restoration Preserving Boston’s Architectural or Cultural Heritage, Boston Preservation Alliance
- 37th Annual Preservation Award (2009), The Victorian Society in America, New England Chapter
- Ted and Joan Cutler and Cutler Majestic Theatre Day in the City of Boston, proclamation by Boston City Council (October 30, 2003)
- Boston’s Best 2004, Improper Bostonian magazine
- Historic Preservation Award (2001) for “exemplary standard of care for the Emerson Majestic Theatre and Little Building, and other historic properties," Boston Society of Architects
- Historic Neighborhoods Foundation Award (1992) for enhancing and preserving the design and social heritage of the City of Boston
- Emerson Majestic Theatre Day proclamation by Boston Mayor Raymond Flynn (April 26, 1989)
- Best of Boston award (1989, 1992), Boston Magazine